Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default I made a little girl cry today

And it felt really good doing it too...

I went to a local diner this morning for breakfast and overheard this man telling his daughter that he was sorry that they couldn't find heavy duty training wheels for her bike. She was a little on the sad side but was understanding about it, after hearing her say that all she wants to do is ride her bike and be like all the other kids, I asked the father if I could maybe help them out. The little girl is 6 years old and is autistic and has downs syndrome, she is also quite hefty because of her medical conditions. The father told me that all of the training wheels he could find would not support his daughters weight and easily bent when she tried to ride her bike. I gave him my card and told him I'd be at my shop in about an hour, to bring the bike and the bent training wheels with him. When he showed up I went to work and made her a set out of some 2" channel and other misc. parts and pieces, took me about an hour to build them and fit them on the bike and before she left the shop she was riding around my parking lot happy as could be. The best part of the story is that I had no intention of going near the shop today, but the look on this little girls face said it all. She was so excited that started crying as she was saying thank you. The girls father asked how much he owed me and all I told him was that the smile on her face was payment enough. I think I just made a friend for life. Dave

P.S. I wanted to take pictures but had left the camera at the house, it was heartwarming to say the least.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default Thanks

You're a good man, a very good man.

What a great thing you did Dave. Very nice gesture.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Glad to hear you could help them out good job and thanks .
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

They have taken the words out of my mouth.............
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Thumbs up cool

well spent sunday afternoon. what a great way to spend a sunday.

i was thinking you were going to tell us you won the contest and told the lil woman she cant have it.
    i still think she will end up with it, but good luck any way.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

You have represented our trade well not to mention your true heart!!

Default "my Hats Off To Dave"

I bet that really made your day to fill a little girls dream of something so simple as to be able to ride her bike.

Dave, I hope I and many other welders get to do a good deed with our welding someday. Great job and Im sure the smile on her face will stick with you longer than any amount of money would.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for the kind words from all of you, I'll tell you what, just watching that little girls face light up and the beaming glow that surrounded her face not only made my day but has got to be the highlight so far this year. I felt as proud of her as her own father did when she pedaled off through the parking lot. When I did get home I got the "where were you, what were you doing?" treatment as my girlfriend thought I was just trying to hide out from the honey-do list, after telling her the story, all of a sudden her attitude dropped, It was a good day all around. Thanks for letting me share it with you, Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en