Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Burn

I think that my eyes get the sorest with plasma flash burn. I hate to use a #8-9 as trying to follow chalk lines, I can't see them. I now use a number 5 but my eyes are pretty sore after a cutting session. Been wearing glasses all my life and they don't seem to help cut down the effect. Did try wearing my polarized sunglasses to see if they help because they are uv protected but didn't see any help with that either. I think, as has been posted many times, use the helmet and the shade required to get the job done.

I usually always got flashburn when I had a helper (tacks when youre not ready for it) etc. I noticed that the plastic reading glasses helped a lot as well.
    I did a lot of work in stainless tanks, one of the best places to get flashburn thats for sure.
    On my plasma I used sunglasses over my regular glasses so that I could see the marks etc, never really got flashburn from that though but my eyes would take some time to get back to normal, kind of like coming inside on a bright day, takes awhile to see well again.
    It is a wonder that I am not blind considering all the stupid things I have done in my lifetime thats for sure..............
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I usually always got flashburn when I had a helper (tacks when youre not ready for it) etc. I noticed that the plastic reading glasses helped a lot as well.
    I did a lot of work in stainless tanks, one of the best places to get flashburn thats for sure.
    On my plasma I used sunglasses over my regular glasses so that I could see the marks etc, never really got flashburn from that though but my eyes would take some time to get back to normal, kind of like coming inside on a bright day, takes awhile to see well again.
    It is a wonder that I am not blind considering all the stupid things I have done in my lifetime thats for sure..............
    Older is not necessarily wiser. That's me for sure.

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

ctraugh2005 Guest

About 10 years ago I flashed my eyes at the company I worked for. I was a group leader and was laying out posts while they were being welded. The plant was pretty dark and when I walked outside I couldnt even see. I had one of my friends drive me to the doctors and they gave me some drops to put in them, it relieved the pain but I couldnt see in the bright light. It was better the next day but it took about 4 before my eyes felt normal.

I was told that if you look away from the weld you will get burned worse then if you stair at it straight on.

Protect your eyes, you only get 1 pair, when there gone there gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ctraugh2005 View Post
    About 10 years ago I flashed my eyes at the company I worked for. I was a group leader and was laying out posts while they were being welded. The plant was pretty dark and when I walked outside I couldnt even see. I had one of my friends drive me to the doctors and they gave me some drops to put in them, it relieved the pain but I couldnt see in the bright light. It was better the next day but it took about 4 before my eyes felt normal.

I was told that if you look away from the weld you will get burned worse then if you stair at it straight on.

When is this idiocy going to stop? No, a quick direct look at the sun will not prevent flashburn, nor will looking at it straight on!! Get a freakin' clue!

Quote Originally Posted by ctraugh2005 View Post

The worst flashburns I have gotten were by being the helper, or when there are other welders in close proximity to you, as you stated above. Over the years thats when I got flashburn the worst as the flash is there before you are ready for it etc..

Flashburn is serious, treat it as such, use the proper protection.

Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good information to be had here, I have been a welder for 55 years and I learn something new on this forum almost every day..........

Looking at an arc in any way shape or form will burn your eyes period.
    Last edited by popspipes; 08-11-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    mike sr

Talking Welding Flash !!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding View Post
    When is this idiocy going to stop? No, a quick direct look at the sun will not prevent flashburn, nor will looking at it straight on!! Get a freakin' clue!
    Mike, This Too Much, I can't understand how this Nonsense Starts !!

............... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

I had to register to get in on this thread. I have been visiting this board for a while but I'm just a hack hobby welder so I never felt the need to formally join the board. I am not smart enough about welding to offer any opinion about welding techniques etc...

In real life I am an ophthalmologist so I do know and understand the treatment of welder's flash or UV keratitis as it is know by eye docs. Cooling the eye lids with a bag of frozen peas, potato slices and so on will help with the discomfort but will not help the healing. Potato juice in the eye or any non sterile liquid can be bad. Certain types of bacteria can go through and destroy the eye in 24 hours! Let the docs determine the extent of damage and advise you on the best treatment options, don't rely on your neighbor's aunt's best friend to determine which home treatment would work.

Contact lenses will not focus the flash on the eye and make things worse, just an old tale that has no basis in fact. Contact lenses may be placed on the eye as a clear bandage to provide comfort while healing, commonly done after certain types of refractive surgery. No eye doc tapes or patches the eye for flash burns, the pain is actually worse with patching. Antibiotic ointment, liquid tears, pain meds and a dark room is typically all that is needed.

Looking at the sun was part of a religious thing in Colorado and I had one patient that did manage to burn the retina and loose vision. Don't do that thinking it will somehow help with flashing.

A flash burn is a sunburn of the cornea or clear part of the eye, it can be a mild gritty feeling or may be severe pain with poor vision but typically causes no permanent damage and will resolve from a few hours to a few days depending on the extent.

I'll go back to being a lurker.

Cool

Thank's Doc and Welcome...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by landreo View Post
    I'll go back to being a lurker.
    Hey.
    Don't do that, everyone is welcome here. Do you weld?? I also am in the medical field, and like to interact with the weldors on the board. They are a great group of knowlegable people!!
    Nick