Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Burn

Unhappy flashes & arc Eye

Always seems to hit from the peripheral area so always wear a helmet and I have been told contact lenses are not on for welders or T/As as they can melt to the eyeball
    cheers Bert

The stories about wearing contact lenses and welding are just that---STORIES. Most nonprescription safety glasses are the wrap around type that give excellent peripheral vision protection. Could be a problem with prescription glasses and the side shields with them that a lot of people seem to like to remove.

Check these out.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cornea.asp
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=19050
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Hello, When you say U.V. saftey glasses, are you wearing Tinted ones ??

............... Norm
    Rules I have to follow:
    Clear Z87.1 approved are required to be worn at all times - including under welding hood. No tinted or mirrored lenses allowed (5 shade cutting glasses are an exception). Double eye protection required when using grinder (glasses must be worn under full faceshield).

i was told from n "old timer" that sliced potatoes on your eyes helps too....

Quote Originally Posted by QuazI View Post
    i was told from n "old timer" that sliced potatoes on your eyes helps too....
    From this Old Timer....... NOT !!

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Thanks, Norm and Bob the Welder, for re-inforcing what I have already said: there are way too many folk remedies and just plain bad information out there about flash burn, cures for welding galvanized, etc. Get advice from a professional, or at the very least do a Google search if you have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding View Post
    Thanks, Norm and Bob the Welder, for re-inforcing what I have already said: there are way too many folk remedies and just plain bad information out there about flash burn, cures for welding galvanized, etc. Get advice from a professional, or at the very least do a Google search if you have a question.
    Mike Hi; Absoluely Get Professional Advice !!

In the 60's and 70's I was getting so many burnt eyes ( Flashes ) they were getting to know Me by My First Name in the Emerg'. !

There were No Auto- Darkening Welding Shields back then, Small Welding Shop, welding on a jig with another Weldor 3' away !!
    It's a wonder I can see at all over fourty years later . But I Welded for another 30yrs. before I even needed Reading glasses!! I've been wearing them for reading & Welding now 12yrs. !

............... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default reposting.

I'm bring this back up for a couple of reasons regarding info about my posting.

(1) I would like to take this time to apologize to "MIKESWELDING" for my rude and harsh comment regarding useing potatoes for flash burn, I understand that yes their are alot of folk-remedies out their that might be nothing more then old tales and don't hold water for anything.

But I have had to use potatoe slices to treat a very bad case of flash burn when I was younger and trying to be the big man at a shop I had worked at as a leadman(young-dumb) any way it resulted in having my eyes taped shut for a short time as it was not funany way I did ask the docter about useing them(spuds) and he said 1st and foremost I have to tell you what will work form a medical profession stand point but if you have or know of other things that will work just as good or better then by all means use it and be careful of side effects. Yes I have heard of useing spud slices from other welders and see nothing wrong in useing them, but remember I am a doctor not a naturalist(one who use's home remedys) but I will keep it in mind the next time someone comes in with this same problem and inform them of a alternitive method of treatment.

(2)This has been on my mind since my 1st post but with me going back to work and the hours I'm working I haven't had to much extra time to repost this info. And yes just so you know I got the name Safety Dave will working for a company as the "safety chairman" so yes it was much later in my welding career and more smarter(I think?)

(3) About me going back to work its for a company here in Michigan thats about 45 min from the house and they make custom built ambulances for alot of metro areas and other fire rescue trucks locally and also for the armed forces over seas, we just lately got a contract from the government to build
    a specialty unit called "MATV" mobile allterain technical vehicle(sp?) through 2013 its called MedTec which is owned by Oshkosh Trucks out of Wis so if any of you know about the company Oshkosh then you know its really a "HUGE" with plants all over the world.

So I guess things are looking pretty good with work and some good money coming in after being laid off since the 1 st of Feb 2009, so I'm just thankful
    for "WORK" right now. Oh I got this from a temp service because the guy that was doing this job had a stroke and not sure if he will even be able to come back at all according to the other guys he lost like 70-80% of function on one side of his body so keep him in your thoughts and prayers, please!
    I never met this guy other then just hearing his name from the rest of the guys (Roland) THANKS FOR NOT KICKING ME OFF THIS SITE

I have not been on here long enough or posted enough for me to start going off on some harsh angry filled spree, I'm asking for your forgiveness(mikeswelding) and from the rest of all the seasoned weldors who I really enjoy reading your replys to other guys post (fusion,cruzer,norm,Bert) just to name a few. well I've been chatting long enough I have chores to do and boys that need some tending to(fighting) maybe a trip to the "WOODSHED" will do them some good(BAD DAD!) LOL!!
    Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
    RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
    Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
    Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
    Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
    Lincoln 225 arc welder
    Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
    assortment bar clamps

Default safetydave repost

safetydave, no forgiveness necessary. Your repost is extremely valuable, especially for younger welders or those just entering the field. Us old-timers have all been subjected to the usual initiation rituals as being sent to get a "left-handed crescent wrench" or a "skyhook," along with some medical advice that may not have any validity. It's good for everyone to take a critical look at some of these assumptions.

The value of this forum is that it gives all of us the opportunity to examine and test commonly held notions, whether related to running 3/32 7014 downhill, or cures for flash burn.

Good for you on the new job. You clearly have the skills and ability, or you would not be in that position. And yes, our thoughts are with the poor guy who had a stroke.

Keep on welding!

I used to get flashburn regularly till I started to wear reading glasses, then it stopped, I guess the plastic in the lens blocks some of the UV rays or something.
    The potato slices I used at about 5 years old, I watched my father weld a drawbar on a tractor from a distance, I only did that once!!
    My mother was a nurse and she said if they worked fine, one thing it did for sure was keep me from rubbing my eyes............

In the early 60's we had eye drops for it, they would stop the pain immediately, worked to well so they took them off the market. I think it was a type of anesthetic.
    mike sr