Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Burn

i've only had flash burn once. woke up 2 am and nothing soothes the pain. i went later to the eye doc, for unrelated reasons, and he told me that alcohol was the answer to the pain as the first thing to numb for drinking alcohol was the retina. havent had to try it yet, but thats what he told me.
    Matt

Syncrowave 200
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Victor O/A
    Smithy Midas 1220 Lathe- Mill
    Bandsaw- 20 yr old Harbor Freight type
    Speedglas

Default Enough!

Enough with the freakin' home remedies and folk medicine like potato slices or anything else! Follow either of these links to see what medical science has to say.

[/url]www.emedicinehealth.com/corneal_flash_burns/article_em.htm

[url]www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Eye_injuries_flash_burns?open
    Last edited by mikeswelding; 07-04-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding View Post
    Enough with the freakin' home remedies and folk medicine like potato slices or anything else! Follow either of these links to see what medical science has to say.

[/url]www.emedicinehealth.com/corneal_flash_burns/article_em.htm

[url]www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Eye_injuries_flash_burns?open
    Hey Mike!@ just so you know what I said IS NOT SOME FOLK MEDICINE The doctor I went to told me this would work better then the slim crap he put in my eyes and he tells any welders that come in for flash burn the same thing. And yes it does work so unless you have done it and tried it GO ON ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS ELSE WHERE!D

Have a nice day and cover your eyes Big Boy!

Just so know also modern medicine doesn't always work just like the good doctor tells you it does.
    Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
    RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
    Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
    Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
    Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
    Lincoln 225 arc welder
    Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
    assortment bar clamps

[QUOTE=safetydave;197115]Hey Mike!@ just so you know what I said IS NOT SOME FOLK MEDICINE The doctor I went to told me this would work better then the slim crap he put in my eyes and he tells any welders that come in for flash burn the same thing. And yes it does work so unless you have done it and tried it GO ON ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS ELSE WHERE!D

Hey, Dave. Just a couple of minor points. This has nothing to do with my opinion. There is nothing on any medical site that recommends this procedure. If your doctor recommended it, fine. You should have mentioned that this suggestion came from a professional because, yes, there are still too many folk remedies out there.

And yes, you are right about one thing. I haven't tried it because I have never experienced flash burn. I struck my first arc in 1961 and have been welding ever since in just about every situation you can imagine, and have always been very aware of the danger.

BTW, you mentioned in your previous post that you have had your eyes taped shut for 2 or 3 days as a result of flashburn. So did you start using the name "safetydave" before or after that?

You know contrary to all the ridicule they get from old school weldors, the availability of inexpensive auto darkening hoods are one of the best things to happen to welding lately. For 50 bucks, you can get one and save your eyes.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

It is a good idea to wear UV rated safety glasses under your hood to prevent eye injury also.

Thumbs up A.D Welding Shields !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    You know contrary to all the ridicule they get from old school weldors, the availability of inexpensive auto darkening hoods are one of the best things to happen to welding lately. For 50 bucks, you can get one and save your eyes.
    Boddybagger Hi; I Might be an Old School Weldor, 42yrs. ( Five Decades ) ,
    Anyway, I bought My first A.D Shield in 2007, It's the Best Welding realated purchase I've Ever made !! If they were around in the "60's"
    I would have avoided Hundreds or Thousands of Flashes !!

In 1967-69 I was welding Storage racks on a jig, One weldor on each side of said Jig, When I flipped My Shield up 99.9% of the time he was Welding. I spent many , many Nights in the Emergency Ward, Patches on both eyes !

Love My A.D. Shield !!!

.............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    It is a good idea to wear UV rated safety glasses under your hood to prevent eye injury also.
    +1

I haven't had a flash burn since I started wearing mine all the time. They act as a last line of defense.

Talking A.D Welding Shields !!

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    +1

I haven't had a flash burn since I started wearing mine all the time. They act as a last line of defense.
    Hello, When you say U.V. saftey glasses, are you wearing Tinted ones ??

............... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Even the clear "disposable" safety glasses that they pass out by the handfuls on jobs are treated to block UV rays. I haven't had a flash burn when wearing these type of safety glasses in even the most crowded work areas.

They don't make it OK to carelessly look around but with a little common sense (which isn't) flash burns to your eyes can be a thing of the past. The treatment on the glasses doesn't last forever, so don't think a 5 year old pair of glasses is going to make you flash proof.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union