Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Burn

Default Flash Burn

how long does it usually take to go heal??? and do i NEED to visit my eye doctor? i saw somewhere to stop wearing contacts until it heals so i took them out wearing an old pair of glasses.

i was helping a welding build a railing on a deck in the field and i was holding the pickets for him and figured looking away was enough well we did about 100 tacs that day and i came home and my face felt a little sun burnt and the bottom corner of my eye was red. it looks worse now. i have very little discomfort in my eye except for when i wake up and nothing abnormal with vision no spots or anything like that. BUT i am wearing my hood now when i help, eyes are very important and i'd like to protect what little eye sight i have left.
    Last edited by andyman; 07-03-2009 at 05:19 AM.

Flashburn feels like you eyes have sand in them, and is painful. I would tend to think you have gotten something in it if its only in one area of one eye. Probably wouldnt hurt to see a doctor if it persists.
    mike sr

A little discomfort is not flash burn. As stated above you may have something your eye.
    Flash burn feels like someone shot you in the face with pepper spray. I got burnt once and woke up a 2 am with what felt like acid in my eyes. Nothing I could do would would relieve the pain i just had the let it run it's course. Took about twenty minutes to settle down felt like forever.
    That was fourteen years ago And I haven't been burnt since. Always wear a hood with the proper lens shade.
    Last edited by kcstott; 07-03-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Cool

Try a hot Tea Bag on your eye and see if that helps...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

IT feels like salt was put in your eyes and Any of the times i got it My eyes felt funny for about a day.

Here's the deal. ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!! PERIOD!!!
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

If you even suspect that you have something in your eye you should have it looked at by a doctor to make sure. What you described sounds more like you have something in your eye.

The eyes are the fastest healing part of the body and can heal over an object in as little 24 hours. Big problem with that is formation of a rust ring which can cause problems later.

I'm certainly not a doctor but as you say your eyes are very important and you don't get a second chance if something is damaged. I vote for a doctor visit or a trip to one of those "express care" facilities seeing (no pun intended) as it's a holiday weekend. Good luck and always wear eye protection.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Unhappy Arc Burn !!

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    IT feels like salt was put in your eyes and Any of the times i got it My eyes felt funny for about a day.
    Hi, If you have a Weldors Flash, It Does Not Feel Funny !!

In My younger days I had Hundreds, maybe thousands, Welding on a production line . When you flip your shield up the other Weldor is Welding !
    No such thing as an Auto Darkening Welding Shield in them days !!
    I Welded for another 30yrs. before in needed to wear reading glasses, been wearing them now for 12yrs. for reading & Welding !!

.............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Exclamation

andyman, eye doctor cant do much couse demage is done, cold compresses over you face will help a lot, chamomille tea bags over your flashed eye but be sure there are cold! and aloe vera on burned skin just apply over and over again, Just today I did some small welds with short sleeves shirt and here we go again uv burns, so I used aloe vera and helps right away, always I meen always cover any open skin and do no a single tac without mask!
    DYNASTY 350 DX
    DYNASTY 200 DX
    MILLERMATIC 251
    1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
    1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
    SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
    DAKE 200 BENDER
    BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

Hi Andyman.

From the way it sound like you might have some thing in your eye so, yes you should get it checked out just because ITS YOUR EYES! Ben there and have hasd mine taped shut for 2-3 days before just because I was in a hurry doing a project and then I paid for it and so did my family because my wife had to do every thing for me during that time.

As for some thing that will help take the pain away get your self a good size potato and slice a couple pcs about 1/8" thick and lay them on your eyes with a hot wash cloth over them for about 1/2hr at a time, some thing in the spud draws out the burn & itch of flash burn.

Just thought I would pass that along to you and form now on try to wear your hood even when your just tacking parts up or helping a buddy do fit ups.
    Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
    RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
    Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
    Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
    Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
    Lincoln 225 arc welder
    Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
    assortment bar clamps