Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

urch,

First reaction:

Must be some big@ss porch to require those columns.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Post Columns on Steroids

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    urch,

First reaction:

Must be some big@ss porch to require those columns.
    Nope... That was my first question to the contractor why so big of a pipe.?? I think 4" would have been plenty. They are holding up 3 1/2" x 12" Versa Beam the open porch span from one column to another is 16'9" and the span from the column to the house is 21'9". Basically it is just a 17'x22' hip roof, nothing else. The engineered plans call it a open air porch.. I think the Engineers over spec things to make sure nothing happens..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I guess if the posts are gonna be left visible those would look better than smaller ones.However, I don't have much faith in those pipe to plate welds to much coldlap attoe of weld .Looks like your fusion is weak, if not absent...wouldn't want my head under it
    That "weld" has four to six passes, you can see the plate is 4" so that weld has filled in a 1" gap. I did use a 3/8" filler strip so the first few stringer beads has a good fusion, two of the gaps did not receive any filler strip. And of course don't forget the welds under the plate, I did them with 6011 because of the galvanizing, and the ones you speak of was done with a mig because it did not come in contact with the coating because it was cut in a saw...I know some of you guys may not think so but the last weld I weaved in was for looks only, just to hide the stringer beads I did.
    Last edited by urch55; 07-02-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Default Mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Are you talking about the ones with legs or fins.????
    Depending on the design factor of the mermaid it could be a little of both

I picked up some galvanized floor grating today that needs cut with a torch so we will both be working in the shadow of the fan...

I even went so far as to get a fresh gallon of milk...
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

a 6" colom seams reasonable to me but your probably not going to see the snow loads that i would.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

sorry make that columns.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Thumbs up Correction Accepted

Ok Ok Ok... I have received some good criticism from Reggie and no dought others have thought it and did not comment on it. Well I fixed it (I think) I ran a stringer bead to tie the weave in. After looking at it, it does look better than before. I think if there is any force on any of the welds it will be from the wind and not from the load. Anyway there it is my work is done, the contractor picks them up today (I hope) Thanks to all that have visited my post...
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    your right urch with the load being down it aint going anywhere,appearance of weld more than anything is what the nit picking was over,for that load design being tacked up woud keep it together...will the columns be left visible?..if so guess thats why you went with the galv...hope you don't have to wait to long to be paid...you know the game contractors play,can't pay you till they get paid...
    Thanks Reggie for your comment. Yes the pipe is exposed but all the "hardware" will be covered in stucco. I told the contractor to be sure to coat it with some zinc other wise you will have rust bleed though. as of 8:25 pm they are still sitting here. I have done work for this guy before so I know what to expect from him, plus He only lives three houses away, all that is in my favor..At least I know which door to knock on....

Bob

you can get that much for $800

Im a little suprised that they didnt call for a cap on the top of the column... I know you put a filler strip in but man 1" is a pretty big gap to fill. IMO it mat have been quicker to cut a cap weld it on and then weld the support to your capped column... but if thats what the engineer calls for then i guess its good to go. Just might have saved you having to weld 6-7 passes