Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cure for butter fingered Airman

I run a Fuels Laboratory, and letís just say that the caliber of men that collect samples for me lack the hand eye coordination that god gave a Tyrannosaurus Rex. As a result the collection jars we use have been dropping faster than the value of a dollar. Answer...frickin weld something! This was a very simple project but for those of you that have ever had to engineer around incompetence, I thought you might appreciate this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

neat.. why the bolts on the bottom..?
    Jim

Have to be able to remove the jar.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyMckinney View Post
    I run a Fuels Laboratory, and letís just say that the caliber of men that collect samples for me lack the hand eye coordination that god gave a Tyrannosaurus Rex. As a result the collection jars we use have been dropping faster than the value of a dollar. Answer...frickin weld something! This was a very simple project but for those of you that have ever had to engineer around incompetence, I thought you might appreciate this.
    I collect fuel samples in the refinery and we use plastic coated glass bottles that are used with a Texas Sampler. Even if you drop them they don't shatter...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Working for the Uncle S often means DIY or wait.

Question Can you handle it.

It does look like if it's droped the jar could still break. But at least there is a big handle. The guestion is has that been droped since the jar cage was fabricated.???
    Bob

Default Hmmm

As I recall from the sticker at the gas pump:

It is unlawful to put fuel in glass or unapproved containers.. I know it is a DOT violation as well..

Not to mention a down right safety hazard, do like aametalmaster does and collect it in a plastic coated bottle (AKA "Approved Container) before someone gets hurt..

Play it safe!
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

OK maybe I should have given more background. This particular sample is collected under pressure so the trouble comes from the jar shooting out of their hands, thus the handle and cage. As far as someone dropping it after that, the cage is lined with friction tape and has over a 1/4" annular space. This should be able to handle a short drop. The problem, however, was not to survive a fall rather keep the men from dropping the sample in the first place. I regard to the plastic container that would be a no-go. First off we have to be able to visually check for water, so you have to be able to see through the. Consider this a piece of lab glass for the field. Furthermore some of the fuels we deal with would eat through plastic. Lastly DOD regulations require a 1 quart glass jar. No offence to anyone in the DOT.
    Last edited by CaseyMckinney; 07-01-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    It does look like if it's droped the jar could still break. But at least there is a big handle. The guestion is has that been droped since the jar cage was fabricated.???
    Bob
    Putting it in the field today, I will be sure to let you know.

Ahhh but if it IS an approved container, and happens to be made of glass.....

Seriously the "stickers" at the pump are mostly a CYA for numbskulls that probably shouldnt be allowed to handle fuel in the first place. Glass fuel checking containers are the norm at the airfield. Not to mention glass fuel level sights, glass globes on fuel/water seperators etc etc. Love the "cage" , somewhere at home I have a Sinclair fuel inspection glass from the '40's , has a wooden handle strapped to is a a couple "bumper" rings on the top and bottom. Ill have to see if I can dig that up.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)