Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Yes there is a reason they are on top.... because I'm impatient and dont think before I do things. I am going to have to cut all those out and patch the holes and also put a drain in the bottom of the tank. When I started the tank I just kind of rolled it to where the little legs underneath supported the tank steady and started cutting..... Didnt realize what I had done until a couple weeks ago... All that stuff on top is going to be removed though. The flange is going to be welded to the door, except the top seal which will be put inside the tank since it wont clear with the hinges I used.. I think it looks better that way and hides blemishes in the cuts. I shouldnt be losing much smoke with the door fitting so well but if I do I will put some on the inside also.

This is just a thought. At your local Hardware store in the wood
    stove pipe area. They should have the soft gray rope for wood
    stove doors. They also have rope cement high temp. Dont use
    that!!!! I can testify to that one. They should have high temp
    silicon, I think its 1100 degree. I ran a large bead everywhere I
    wanted the rope gasket, then pressed the rope to the silicon,
    then covered it all with 2" blue paint tape just in-case some silicon
    made it to the door. Afterwords the tape pulls right off. I have
    used this method all all my smokers and it works great.
    Zero smoke loss.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

I have actually been thinking about doing that but didnt know if it would be worth it. Thinking about it though... that would be easier than running a flange on the inside of the tank. Thanks for the idea!

Just for the record, The doors in the above pic are 1/8" plate, NOT the 14 or 16 gauge that the box itself is made from. That is an old diesel tank like you would see on a flat bed. It was so think I didn't want to spend the time to make it strong enough for a door. So I found a scrap yard find for my doors.

Tom

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

With the wife at work I made some more progress today. It was a good bit of welding work, my little Hobart was having a heck of a time keeping up.

This is the cooking door pretty much done.

Here is my catch to keep the door from over extending.

Great looking job Josh. I really like the handle you have made. I cant tell in the pic, is the door far enough past its balance point when it is resting upright, that it does not fall in your head in a high wind?

Its probably plenty far but its hard to tell in the pic.

Nice work.

Tom

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

Thanks for the compliment!I was a little sketchy on that but after playing with it for a while I think that it is far enough over. Ill just cook with a helmet the first few times Also I am in a serious debate with a buddy about the handle.... I think that it wont get very hot since it is so long and is connected to the door through fairly small welds and plenty of areas to lose heat. He thinks I need some wood or a spring on it. What do you guys think? Im going to try it before I do anything to it but if someone has run in to this problem before let me know.

Josh

P.S. I had the most horrible dream last night that I left a fire burning outside next to the pit and it set the grass on fire and MELTED my smoker into a big pile of warped metal. I woke up very distressed this morning, ha ha.
    Last edited by joshcarlegis55; 09-07-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Josh, the handle will be fine. So long as you are not cooking with the temp above 3 or 4 hundred degrees. Here is a link to a pic of the front of my cooker. Both handles on the cook chamber are 5/8" round bar. Now they do get a little warm, but not hot enough to have to wear a glove.

The fire box was a different story, it needed one with a spring(an old chipping hammer).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

I think you handle WILL get hot. Since this is a BBQ/smoker then cooking times can go to 24 hrs and beyond. Slow heat will settle in on a solid handle like that over time...how much time and will it be too hot to handle (no pun intended)...dunno, you can test.

Thickness of the tank?

Estimated weight of tank?

Really LOVE the spurs for handle supports. Real or did you just fab them up???
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

They were on a beer bucket stand that I am *******izing in my back yard. I believe the guy I got the stand from got them at the flea market in Canton. They are cast iron. I agree with you though on the handle. It could get hot depending on the cooking times. I dont cook too much that goes over 12 hours though.