Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Ill be cooking this weekend for the first time so Ill let you know how it does....

regarding the tuning plates, what are they, what is their purpose etc? I have heard people talk about them but haven't heard much info on them. I am planning an offset build and am trying to cover all my bases on the first try. my cooking area will be 18 x 36 on the main rack with a smaller top rack. Not quite a 250gal build but should be plenty for my needs
    Thanks

Scott

I have always cooked on cheap offsets that were bought at academy and didnt have any plates but from what I can gather, basically they are plates underneath your cooking surface that can be put in or out to control the heat on your food. Normally I have too many Keystones in my belly by the time food is ready to worry about all that "even cooking temps" balogna so I havent bothered with them yet. I am going to cook this weekend though and see if I have to break down and put em in. Pretty much you just put a rail 6 or 8 inches under the grate where you can lay pieces of sheet metal in if you have hot spots. Some of these real BBQ guys might have better info than me though.

I think I would have to say that in welding terms a tuning plate in a smoker is just a heat sink of sorts.

Alot of the fancy rigs have the fire on one end like the one Josh made. Then they have the smoke stack on the same end. They build a plate that is right above the fire box opening and runs to the opposite end of the cook area. This lets the smoke travel under the cook area displacing heat along the way. Then the smoke makes a u turn and travels back toward the fire box on top of the plate to the smoke stack. On these rigs all the drippings and grease can run to one spot and drain out a pipe or valve of sorts.

What Josh has will work Great! He has the fire, the heat travels to the stack across the meat. If he cooks and the temp is way way hot on the right then he could find a heavy piece of scrap plate and lay it under the cook grate near the fire. 1 it will make the draft a little different moving the air flow down a little but also letting the heat build in the plate. With a few pieces of plate he could in time make a cook area that holds the same temp all the way across the cook area.

It all depends what a person wants to cook. Alot of times you want to be able to put say chicken on the hot side for a while then move it to a lower temp. Or, once the meat being cooked is done and you want to keep it a safe warm temp you move it way down by the stack.

Josh you got it right man.

(your not cookin till the first beer is open)

One thing to always keep in mind is that after the meat reaches a temp of about 120 to 150 it isn't going to take any more smoke. So if the weather gets bad or to many beers get consumed. You can always move your food to the oven indoors where you can set the temp and just wait till its finished.

Good Luck Josh, Pls show us some pics of it cooking, or at least what turns out.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

SHE BE BROKEN IN!!! Started this morning at about 7. Had the ribs done by noon. Tried to keep around a 200-250 degree fire (except when I took my nap after physically exhausting myself yelling at the TV during the Texas game and let the fire die to about 125-150). Pulled the briskets off at about 7 pmand they were no where near done... stoked the fire up to about 300-350 and moved them closed to the box for about 1.5 hrs and they came out beautiful... cooked them 2 ways. First one I dry rubbed cooked on the open grate for about 5 hours then moved it in to a pan with a beer/worstechire mix in the bottom and mopped it wth a mop sauce. The second we put in a pan with beer based marinade over night. Wrapped in foil with marinade in the bottom and cooked it like that for 5 hours. Then moved it to the pan with marinade in bottom and mopped it. They both were GREAT! The one I cooked open had a great smokey taste and was a little bit tougher (which is exactly how I like my brisket) and the wrapped on was super juicy and tender. Thanks again for all you guys help and enjoy the pics....

Hour #1

Open smoked brisket

covered brisket

You can really see the texture and color difference in the two ways we cooked.
    Last edited by joshcarlegis55; 10-18-2009 at 05:09 PM.

I see beer, I see brisket, I see you got it going on man. Nice work Josh.

Now if we all had (I-Phones), I'm sure there is an app. that would let us smell your brisket. There is a freaking app for everything else.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Josh,
    Job well done and thanks for the picís!

Thumbs up

GREAT JOB Josh!! You da man enjoyed watching your build.

Josh, your cooker turned out awesome. I have been watching off and on and it looks like you have her dialed in just right. Nicely done.