Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

sad thing is.... the Jeep is still in the garage ... im trying to sell it but no one got any cash around here!! While I got everybodies attention.... anyone looking for a Jeep???

More done today... The little Hobart couldnt hang so I am going to have to get this puppy on a trailer and to the shop or bring a diesel stick welder home to finish the welds and patches.

heres the start of the patch work on top.

Really fit pretty good...

Pipe about halfway welded on and patches tacked in... now for some welding and a bunch of grinding.

Looking good Josh,

Looking at the design, I would think it will run a bit on the hot side near the fire. Which is not a total bad thing. Especially if you are not trying to cook large amounts. Sometimes when I cook I am doing 2 or 3 hundred slabs. Even temp helps alot in this situation. But when I cook for home the variance would be nice. The end near your stack, in the dome area would be a great place to put a couple whole chickens.

I see in the back ground you have the dome off the end you built the fire box on. Not sure if you are planning more wood or more charcoal but I have read that some guys take a pit and for a lack of better words pre-burn there wood first. That dome looks like it would work pretty good for this. Or even a slick little fire pit to sit around while sipping a cool beverage while the food cooks.

Great job and thanks for the progress pics.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

The other dome is going to be turned in to a charcoal gril and mounted on the trailer. I thought about fire pit and everything else but this would allow you to do ribs and chicken for the adults and if you had rugrats running around cook burgers and dogs. Its going to make a pretty big grill all said and done. The hard part is going to be making the lid. I have a design in my head but that doesnt always agree with laws of matter and physics when the metal comes together but if it works out it will be cool.

Made a bit more progress this weekend.

This is what it takes to get work done.... big blue.

the divider between the fire and the cooking area. The door that is cut out will be the damper to control how much smoke is going in to the cooking area

On a side note....the Jeep got traded today..... here is my loot.

By the way.....I had every intention of posting the work on my patches on top but things did not go very smooth this weekend. I have stick welded some stainless recently (which welds so easy) and somehow convinced myself that I was a good stick welder.... which I am not and the patches look like bat sh!t on a pump handle but I should complete them in the next week or two for you guys. I ended up welding all the plate on the inside and am going to have to go back over the outside joints with a mig to make it look worth a crap. It is solid though now and should be ready to cook soon.

Very Nice, new toys are always fun.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Got my damper in and my box poured with refractory....

You could fire this thing to over 1300 degrees and my firebox lining would still be there

We are dangerously close to cooking now!

typo:....

you can run this thing over 3000 degrees and my lining would be OK!!!

pit looks great so far nice work. what is that you "poured" into the fire box? never seen that done before