Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sorry to hear the sad news Josh. No matter the situation loosing a pet/friend is a rough deal. Good luck man, maybe building will help ya keep your mind busy.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Josh, This is not the news that I was expecting to see when I opened this post to see the progress on your smoker grill. I to am sorry to hear of your loss and offer my heart felt sympathy! We all miss our pals that donít borrow our tools, nor drink our beer, who are quick to clean up what falls from our grills. The oneís that donít laugh at us as we cuss after the cut we made using the short tape on that final cut we all have. The oneís, the only explanation they need are a pat on the head! Yes they are truly missed. When Time permits Iíll be looking forward to you progress. Youíre motivating me into starting mine
    This is the last one I completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well Im back on my feet and at it again. I cut 2 plates for my smoke box today and ran out of metal to do the end piece. Next is to cut the door on the plate going in to the cooking area then weld her up. (I just figured out how to shrink so the next ones will be smaller)

Not real scientific door measurements but no one will see it.

Last edited by joshcarlegis55; 07-10-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Really sad to hear of your loss, but I thought I would pass along this good info in hopes of cheering you up.

If you truly want to find out who is Man's best friend....your wife or your dog????? lock them both in the trunk of your car for a hour. When you open it, see which one is glad to see you!!!

Cheers.

Finishing up the fire box doors.... this project is going a little bit slower than I had wanted.... but its tough to motivate yourself to work out in the hot Alabama sun if you dont have to.

The gaps in the flat stock will be where the round stock is welded to the door for the hinges. I am going to do "L" type hinges.

ctraugh2005 Guest

Sweet looking project you go there, you got my attention.

Keep up the good work

Door is done.... Time to start on the cooking surface and trailer. It will probly be a few weeks with vacation coming up and dove season starting but yall dont get too bored with the post.

Got my cooking door cut out today. I was waiting until I got it on a trailer and up to the shop so I could use a torch but impatience got the best of me.... A few hours on the grinder cutoff wheel and you end up with a very clean cut. Unfortunately one of my Harbor Freight 4 1/2" grinders bit the dust... another 9 dollars down the drain. Heres the pics.

Here is the set up.... I know, I know.... its a Hobart, I cant afford all your big Millers. We have one at our companies shop though and I use it whenever I can. All the work I am doing is with my 110V Hobart using flux core wire. Not really made to burn 1/4" steel but it'll do the trick.

Here I have the top and bottom of the door cut. I tacked the hinges on before I made the bottom cut (I used the jack and wood here initially to get my hinges on correctly, I will explain in bottom of the post).

I was very worried about the steel losing its form when I had the door cut so I went in a welded these braces. I will come back later and put something a little bit prettier in there.

All finished with hinges welded on. The square tubing there is just to keep the door from falling in on itself. I will put a lip around the edge next.

Heres some welds for yall to make fun of

Now this pic is the one I wanted to share the most. When the tank gets cut you get some warping and it loses its shape when you take out metal that was holding it together in round. After I cut my door out and before I finish welded my hinges, I came in and used a car jack and piece of wood to push the top of the door, where it dropped after cutting, back up in to line with the hinges and the top of the tank. This makes for tighter seams and you dont have uneven metal at the top where there wont be a lip.

It looks like you are making good progress Josh. Are you going to make a flange on the door or will it be under the door welded to the tank it self?

OK one more question. Is there a reason that you left the threaded holes to the top?

I ask this because there is a guy that I work with and he has near the same tank and he left the threaded holes to the bottom.

Thanks for all the great pics.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )