Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Anybody like ribs?

Since I'm getting rid of my Jeep I am going to have to have something to grind on for a while. I have started work on my trailer BBQ smoker and am going to post up like a build thread so here goes. If anyone has done this and has comments, pics or suggestions post em up.

After I picked up my mammoth 250 gallon propane tank and slid it out of the bed of the truck doing even MORE damage to my tailgate than already is there the first order of business was to lop one cap off with the assistance of my wifes cocker spaniel.....I didnt realize tanks are THAT THICK!! Now so you all know, from what I hear, cutting propane tanks is dangerous and should only be performed by proffesionals... which I am not. This one has been sitting vented for 2 years and been filled and drained with water a couple times. I filled it up with water and made my initial cuts with the tank full, then drained it and finished cutting.

Here is the pre cut marking for the smoke box.

And today came home to make the cuts and 3 cutting wheels and 2 saw-zall blades later we have this.

Next time Im just going to fill up the oxygen bottle in my garage and cut with fire.

Now its off to get cardboard to make templates for the smoke box. I will basically seal the cooking area from the smoke box and cover the smoke box with metal. I will put vents and dampers to control the temperature and how much smoke flows from the box to the cooking area. I found a boat trailer today and will be modifying it to the smoker. I also am planning on a sink, propane burner or two, wood storage and cabinets on the trailer.
    Last edited by joshcarlegis55; 06-29-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Getting rid of your JEEP! That's sacreligious!

Not sure where you are located at, but when you get it all done, tow that thing my way and we'll give it a test run!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default just a dream

every time i see one of these tanks i cant stop thinking of how to make a submarine out of it, proably be like a jeep "just empty every pocket", i still have mine 74 cj5, but wouldnt a sub be cool

Cool Project,
    I would love to see the work in progress,

g6Racer
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME

Default prints

hey,
    my father has asked me to build him a smoker very similar to this, do you have some plans or dimensions or anything that I might be able to use to get me started?

Jim

Basically just cut the cap off at the weld. Then went 18" in from there at about 19" from the bottom of the tank. The door is gonna be the next figuring and Ill post that when I get it. If you got questions or need ideas about procedures email me at josh@sparref.com and Ill help when I can. Once I get the door figured out Jim Ill try to draw something up for you to help.

Here are my measured and drawn templates for my smoke box work. Now I just have to finish cutting them out and pretty them up. Then I will put them on the sheet of metal and cut with a plasma torch and hope I dont set myself on fire. Notice all the scribble lines..... Dad says measure twice and cut once. I measure, draw, cut, cuss, measure, draw, re-measure, re-draw, cut, get new materials, cuss, measure, measure, cut, drink a beer..... perfect

Last edited by joshcarlegis55; 06-30-2009 at 08:35 PM.

thanks man I appreciate it

Jim

Do everyone a favor and Resize your Photos in Photobucket before posting them up. 640x480 is a decent size and not too big.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Delivery Service?

Let me know when your up and a smokin' and I'll place my order..
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

To all of those wanting some cooking... You buy the fuel and beer and I can drive anywhere in the country! On a sad note, I was supposed to cut my templates and metal out for the box on Thursday but my Lab was hit by a truck wednesday night and I had to put him to sleep on thursday. It was an extremely difficult thing to do since he was my best pal and hunting partner and only 5 yrs old. I will be beginning work on this again soon but until then I will be missing my buddy.

Josh