Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What is your favorite ratchet handle?

So i have been boared, sue me!

Mine is this one from craftsman:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+tooth+ratchet

Fine tooth, quick release, comfortable, nearly indestructable and ready for a cheater handle made from cheap and available 1/2" EMT, and a lifetime warrantee.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=12918

This one, but only because it'll put an impact wrench to shame.

I like craftsman's pro ratchets, but I wish they had them with a straight handle in the flex head. I have a 6 and I think a 11" without the flex and I like those as much as my dad's snappy version.

Craftsman's tools also lack the material quality of snappy's stuff. I'm constantly rounding over the jaws on my combination wrenches and dinging sockets, but that never happens on my snapon stuff. I even use my snapon 3/4" combination wrench on the mill where I rap the draw bar with the wrench's shank for every tool change - not so much as a single ding.

I personally hate the handle style you linked as your favorite because the shape doesn't feel good when applying much force. I have a flex head in that style and I've tried a couple times to exchange it with no luck. That was a couple years back, and I think after the Kmart acquisition they've changed their approach a bit. The last time I mentioned it to a salesman he suggested I bring it in and he'd hook me up with store credit for the current price. I just never did.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

I don't have links to mine, but i have a really nice SK model that's just as smooth as you could ever want even on their 1/3 inch model (got the set years ago used of 1/4 through 1/2, but they're all stubby, i would have liked the bigger ones to have longer handled and they're way to nice to weld to so i give in and use a cheater on the 1/2'' one when i need to.

But ultimately i love the 1/4'' one in the set... It has a very small round head that you can get onto about any bolt no matter how close it is to the edge of a wall or inside 90* work area.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

I've got the same thing Glenn. In fact, 2 of em. 21pc sets in both standard and metric from back when they came in the green metal box.

The only thing I don't like about the SK's is the knurls on the handles are too sharp. When you put the torque into something time and again (doing assembly) it chews on your hands after a while. I've never had a lick of trouble with those ratchets and I've had them for about 15 years now.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

I don't like the heads on snap-on ratchets. there slightly better than craftsman but not nearly as precise or smooth as Gearwrench. I think gearwrench quality is right up there with the best of them. and not terribly priced either, and of course lifetime guarantee.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...wrench+ratchet

Only drawback is no socket release button, I have always hated that about snap-on.

my $.02
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

hi benny..snap on has a quick release version..it's just not standard like on a craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
    So i have been boared, sue me!

Mine is this one from craftsman:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+tooth+ratchet

Fine tooth, quick release, comfortable, nearly indestructable and ready for a cheater handle made from cheap and available 1/2" EMT, and a lifetime warrantee.
    Laiky.........I also have and like that Craftsman model. I've had mine since the 70's. The only thing is you have a hard time reversing while gripping the handle. I like the fine tooth ratchet. Why would you put a cheater bar on a fine tooth ratchet or any ratchet? I have break over bars for that.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Smile Rachet Jaw

I have a Snap-on and Craftsman but I find my self using the S-K the most because of the fine tooth. I have some Gear wrenches but they are made in china, when I bought them from Sears, I had to take one back because it did not work right out of the package. But when they do work they feel good to the hand.
    Bob

Cool

WRIGHT TOOLS....Bob
    http://www.wrighttool.com/
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Laiky.........I also have and like that Craftsman model. I've had mine since the 70's. The only thing is you have a hard time reversing while gripping the handle. I like the fine tooth ratchet. Why would you put a cheater bar on a fine tooth ratchet or any ratchet? I have break over bars for that.
    Funny, i never thought about that. When i started working as a mechanic my boss had the ratchet i linked to with a piece of EMT formed over the handle. It was my favorite in short order. Admittedly the handle is not the most comfortable but it is short and compact, the quick release is great for greasy hands or when you have a 1/2 dozen sockets in use. The reverser never gets accidentally changed. The fine tooth is better than any snap-on i ever used. The emt slide over is such a way the if you tap it once seated it sticks so you end up with a longer handle when reaching down in an engine bay, allowing you some extra leverage or more often the ability to lean on it with out smashing your knuckles. You can relrease the emt and slide it in and out depending on what your trying to turn and you have a ton of leverage when you need it. All for around 20 bucks!!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear