Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Harbor Freight Tubing Roller

Has anyone used that HF large radius tubing bender? I would be using it for light fabricaton projects on mild steel from .065 to .095 wall. Was wondering if it worked ok and how it held up to use.
    DAVE Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate 3
    Millermatic 212 Auto Set
    Millermatic 140 Auto Set
    Hobart Airforce 400 Plasma Cutter
    JD2 Tube Bender

i've been eyeing that tube roller for a while now. i want to roll some .120 wall tube for some handle bars. i'm leaning more towards building my own heavier version for the simple fact that i have the scrap steel to do it. plus i don't know if that one will bend .120.
    Matt

Syncrowave 200
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Victor O/A
    Smithy Midas 1220 Lathe- Mill
    Bandsaw- 20 yr old Harbor Freight type
    Speedglas

do you have a pn# or pic

I looked at it the other day myself and was considering it. Seems the dies alone would be worth the money. The tool seemed to be of only fair construction quality, like most stuff they sell. When I left the store I was wondering if China had stores full of crap made in the US?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    . When I left the store I was wondering if China had stores full of crap made in the US?
    yep. there called chevrolet JUST KIDDING!! no hate mail please
    Last edited by getabiggerhammer; 06-27-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Matt

Syncrowave 200
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Victor O/A
    Smithy Midas 1220 Lathe- Mill
    Bandsaw- 20 yr old Harbor Freight type
    Speedglas

Exclamation Heart to Mouth

Quote Originally Posted by getabiggerhammer View Post
    yep. there called chevrolet JUST KIDDING!! no hate mail please
    What's in the heart the mouth speaks.

Default HF Tubing bender

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock1123 View Post
    Has anyone used that HF large radius tubing bender? I would be using it for light fabricaton projects on mild steel from .065 to .095 wall. Was wondering if it worked ok and how it held up to use.
    I bought one a couple of months ago. I can't say I've used it much, but I was impressed with the bend in steel tubing I got. There was some distortion, but nothing like the pipe bender.

They also have a set of dies for the machine for square tubing. I sprung for a set of them (@ $49.95) and I was impressed with the bend there as well. So far they only have them for 1/2" square tubing. I don't know if they will go to bigger tubing (and if not, I don't know why not).

A friend came to my shop and wanted to bend a large circle out of 1 1/2" X 1/4" strap. I didn't have the square tube dies then, so we centered it on a round tubing die. It took a little effort to keep the material centered but we prevailed and the bender made a very nice base for a stand he was wanting to build.

I expect to get good service from the machine. The sides aren't very thick, but they are in tension and it seems to be enough. The dies are pretty hefty.

Somewhere I may still have the 1' tube and the 1/2" square I bent. If so, and there is interest I can take a photo.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jworman View Post
    Somewhere I may still have the 1' tube and the 1/2" square I bent. If so, and there is interest I can take a photo.

Yes please! Inquiring minds would like to see!

Default HF Tubing bender

I didn't find the tube yet, but we are getting a unusual (for us) bit of rain so I didn't prowl around in my scrap pile too long.

The square tube is bent about as tight as the machine will allow. The second photo shows the tube hitting the adjusting screw.

Also here is a photo of the small die and the large die. There is one in the middle.

As I said, I haven't used it much, but I expect to.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

John thank you for posting the pictures!

Actually that isn’t very impressive for a smaller diameter bend! Years ago there was a member here with the handle of AZ Coyote I think. He posted these pictures of a modification he did to his Harbor Freights shape bender.
    There sure seems to be a gap between the tubing roller and the shape bender far as size of radius. AZ Coyote’s method is good up to 3-inch, but the roller looks like it could only go down to 12 inch or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images