Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Next Project: Lamp Holder Question

My wife dragged me along shopping for some solar lights for a friend. I got to thinking a couple of wall mounted units would look nice beside my door, and get rid of the problem of people forgetting to turn lights on for me at night when I come home. I looked around and of course there are none. But, they do have some stainless steel solar powered lights that mount on a little post made from a tube. And, I have a welder. Seems I should be able to do something about this.

I buy a couple of the lights, at $5 each. They are an stainless head, that sits on a stainless tube which sticks into the ground. The tube is 0.900" in diameter, give or take, with .010" walls. I bought some 3/16" x 2 1/2" 304SS flat bar, and figure I can cut a piece for the wall, and a piece to stand off away from the wall. I also have some SS 1" dia. tube x .035" wall. I figure the .010" is beyond the capability of a Diversion - maybe a Dynasty, but I was too cheap for that. I'm thinking though I should be able to TIG the .035" tube to the stand-off bracket (3/16" on edge) to make a holder for the tube for the light to drop into.

My question is for welding dissimilar thicknesses, do you go with the tungsten and filler rod for the thicker, the thinner or somewhere in between? My gut feel is the thicker, and apply the bulk of the heat to it, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Larry
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press
    No Name Portable band and chop saws
    '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

This is not an answer to your question, but you can buy the "dusk till dawn" light sensor switches for under $20 and add them to an existing light circuit with little difficulty.

That's what I did for our driveway. Our street is pretty dark, so we have those lights on all night year round. It ensures we're not the easiest target for vandals or thieves as they're completely visible all the way to the street.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

True enough Jim, and something I am well aware of. I have probably spent more on the metal than the cost of a sensor. In fact, I used to have a light sensor there with motion detector. Okay, but an ugly unit. When it died, I went to something more attractive.

However, it would not give me something unique or stretch my skills. It is fun to do things others can't
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press

To answer your question, start your puddle on the thicker and flow to the thinner. That being said, set up for the thicker material and use the smallest tungsten and filler you have available that will do the job.

I wish you lots of luck with this project cause that's some mighty thin material. I would probably end up with swiss cheese and then end up trying to fill the holes.

I bought three pieces of the 1" dia. material. One for practice, two for real. Your suggestion confirms what I had been thinking.

Backup plan is brazing or silver solder, but need to go in to work to do that.
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press

Well, if that's how you want to do it.

That stamped stuff will be no fun at all. I'd braze it or even JB weld. If you get a puddle started in it, it'll ball up and pull away from the joint under surface tension.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at