Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gantry Crane

Default Gantry Crane

To help my company make ends meet we all had to take a four week vacation without pay.

For two of the weeks I helped my brother to fabricate and install a Ĺ ton overhead crane in his shop which will be used to help him to move material from his shop floor to his loft. The design involves an electric winch that is attached to a trolley that runs on a 25 foot I-beam. The I-beam is supported in the middle with a cross beam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Wow Looks Great.
    What wall thickness is the center beam.
    Hope you can find more work during your vacation.

g6Racer
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME

That sure beats carrying materials up the ladder..
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by g6Racer View Post
    What wall thickness is the center beam.
    The center beam was 1/4" thick.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Default Monorail

Pictures look more like a monrail, instead of a gantry??

Yes that is a monorail and not a gantry.

Good looking job.

Hopefully your building was built with a snow load factor to carry the additional weight.

Try not to use the crane in the winter if you have snow on the roof, otherwise you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Yes that is a monorail and not a gantry.

Good looking job.

Hopefully your building was built with a snow load factor to carry the additional weight.

Try not to use the crane in the winter if you have snow on the roof, otherwise you should be ok.
    Thanks. I was wondering what to call it. Monorail makes more sense.

My brother's shop is located in southern Virginia, just north of Greensburg North Carolina. The building has a generous snow load but rarely has very much snow. As you pointed out, he was planning on not using it if there is snow on the roof. The "I" beam is designed for 1/2 ton but the electric winch that he currently has on it is rated for 1/4 ton instead of 1/2.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    That sure beats carrying materials up the ladder..
    Bob
    Itís funny that you should mention ladders to the loft. While at my brotherís place I also welded together a stairway to the loft. He had some 10í stair tread stock that we cut up into 3í treads. Attached is a picture of my brother and me next to the stair channel fabrication. Iím the one the right. In the second picture my sister in law is modeling the completed stairway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Thumbs up He's Not Heavy He's My Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Itís funny that you should mention ladders to the loft. While at my brotherís place I also welded together a stairway to the loft. He had some 10í stair tread stock that we cut up into 3í treads. Attached is a picture of my brother and me next to the stair channel fabrication. Iím the one the right. In the second picture my sister in law is modeling the completed stairway.
    That is a nice looking staircase,can't miss the lime green color. I still say the same thing It beats carrying materials up the ladder. You guys done a great job..
    Bob