Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first gate project (very simple)

Here are some pictures of a gate that I'm making to replace the wooden one that is falling apart. The first one is the gate nothing fancy. The third picture is the base plate that I anchored in the concrete. I will weld a 2-1/2" square 3/16" tube to the plate pictures to follow. The fourth picture is were the gate will end up after the wooden gate will be taken down. The last picture is the iron gate up against the wooden gate that will be trashed. Still have alot of work to do. I need to paint the gate, poles, floor plates and hardware. Then it all has to be put together. Wish me luck I have never done anything like this before a first time. Once hung and operating properly at that time I would like to put some artistic pieces to give it a custom look. I'll post more pictures as I go along. Aloha!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

looks good, nice job.
    throw some paint on that bad boy and get her mounted up.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Here are some more pictures of the gate I made all is painted and the gate is in use. I have a half sheet of 1/8" plate and would like to make a sign to hang on the gate. Where would I get some artistic templates to use as guides to cut a sign?

More pictures

Thumbs up Gate

Nice Work! I like the design and it is plenty tough.

Take Care,

John

Thumbs up Dog Control Device

That looks like a real nice gate, you did a great job. I like thoes barrel hinges with a ball bearing and Zerk fitting. Your dog now can see who he is going to bite.Hehehe
    Bob

Hi Mililaniman - I lived in Lanikai in 1982-84 and worked at Pearl Harbor as civilians on nuclear subs. We miss Hawaii very much but planning a visit again next year. What kind of sign are you going to make? If just words, can you download some stencils to trace and then free-hand cut with a plasma cutter? I cut everything freehand. Could do the same with figures. Do you know about King Architectural? They sell all sorts of collars, scrolls, things that you can add to your gate designs in the future. Looks great. cat

Very Nice Gate, Big Ass Dog

MILLER MIG 252
    MILLER TIG syncrowave 180 SD
    DIGITAL ELITE INFERNO HELMET
    MILLER MIG 175 (SOLD)
    MILLER PLASMA 375 (SOLD)

Great Job keep up the good work
    Equipment
    Lincoln SA 200, Miller 252 , Miller TrailBlazer 275 and Hypertherm Powermax 600

Default Mililani Stick Man

Great gate.

I am lucky having artistic friends.

If I need a design such as an animal or a scroll or similar artistic thing, I get a piece of paper and draw the rough size of the design.
    Then I let the true artists go to work.
    It is amazing to watch them play.

When they get a design that I think works, I freeze it and buy them all dinner.
    I still feel I am cheating as they can come up with such beautiful designs in 2 minutes when it would take me days and my work would look terrible.

I could use clip art but I would rather my friends get the credit and thrill from driving by and seeing their desing in person.

I take photos of the finished piece and also engrave their name on the work so they get the credit they deserve.

I can weld a bit but I can't draw so everyone wins.

Hope this helps
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !