Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Glad to see ya back, I `am glad you like school also

Inferno Forge

Chris

OUTSTANDING!!!! THATS HOW YA DO IT YOUNG154.
    No matter what stick it out WE NEED MORE YOUNG PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THIS TRADE. I TOO have graduated from welding school(93).And you know what it was the best.

I'd recommend that all that can should

Great success.
    Dave

Ryan,

If custom fabrication and tube bending is your passion and dream, maybe consider volunteering to get some extra experience. I know the season is almost over, but take a side trip up to Raceway Park at Oyster Bed Bridge, walk through the pits, and find out who's building new cars and who's good to learn from. I was very fortunate to take in 3 race days at Oyster Bed while I was on the island..... Man, what a hoot. You guys are nuts. Back to the point of the thread - a fair amount of damage gets done there so guys are always repairing their tube chassis. Cary Lenentine comes to mind first with his Modified.
    Another fellow... Kent "something" (it'll come to me later) lives in Crapaud & works for Atlantic Turbines.

Another good source may be the off-roaders that we saw at the Mud Rooters track in Desable. I don't have any names for you off-hand, but if you want, I'll contact my Bro-in-law that works in Summerside and see what he can dig up. He's has some friends involved with that side of motorsports. He's also planning to build an off-road truck of his own and my cables won't reach from Alberta.

Any amount of hands-on time will be worth it getting you one step closer to your dream.

Later,
    Jason

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Thanks everyone, Black wolf I just may do that, I would actually love to gain skills in pipe bending as of now I'm all tied up until the summer and hopefully then I may get to try it. I have really grown fond of aluminum and I haven't even done it yet. Tomorrow we start in the shop with oxy fuel I cant wait to get my hands on a torch. As of now I have a place in mind for my OJT weld tech so Ill see how that goes. I actually did it I said bye bye to my piercings a crowbar and 10 minutes later everything was removed and I have to say I actually look normal again nobody could believe it. I'm all set I really have nothing holding me back anymore I would also like to add custom car building and building choppers as a career goal.
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Wow, Black Wolf, darn good tips!!! Congrats Ryan on taking off all the jewelry If Black Wolf is going to give you some leads and put his name out there for you, best to look professional! Good luck with your near future! My loan didn't go through as much as I wanted, so I couldn't get my pipe bender yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how it goes!!!
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Ryan,

If you're really serious about building custom choppers, pay close attention when you get into the pipework. No, there is no 3" sch.80 etc on a chopper, but the layout & coping, for saddle-on & saddle-in joints will all be pretty much the same. If you spend time learning the proper mitre cuts & pipe fit up, then later on, making chopper frames should be a snap.

Get as much practice in as you can with GTAW, it will become your best friend where you are planning to go. Aluminum will be a little tricky at first, learning how to read the puddle, and how to control your heat input so an entire chunk doesn't fall out onto the floor. Just keep with it you'll get it.

Whatever you are learning, force yourself to weld right-handed and left-handed. Sounds like an odd idea but it will do 2 things for you:

1) Give you the ability to switch hands if one starts to cramp without losing quality & efficiency.

2) Give you options.....If a weld is awkward and clumsy with one hand, it may well be right in your comfort zone using the other hand. If you practice enough, you will be able to switch hands and complete the weld almost without thought.

I guess an added bonus will be the extra emphasis on technique and greater concentration you will develop while learning to read the weld.

I'm not sure what my plans are for Motorports this winter. Locally, I have one asphalt and one dirt IMCA Modified to build & have ready for spring depending on the guys finances. If I set my sights further South in 2008 to a Professional Race team out of Calgary, I can either go with one guy on the Nascar Canadian Tire Series in Eastern Canada & Northern U.S. or I can go with his father to a few races on the Busch Grand National circuit, and still travel B.C. & Alberta with the IMCA Modifieds.

Decision, Decisions.

Keep your nose in the books.
    Later,
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 09-12-2007 at 12:27 AM.

youngwelder_154, go back over the last post from Black Wolf, read it again and again, program it into your head, I could not have given you any better advice. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I will add a little to BlackWolf's. Get good with that torch, right and left handed, forehand and backhand. It will make life so much simpler. He is also right about right and left hand welding. My dad made me learn both in a rather unusual way. One day I would do everything right handed, the next everything was left handed. I have spent a total of two years with my right hand in a cast and never got to where I can even sign my own name, but I can run a torch better left handed than most right handed guys can right handed. I started really young. I think that makes it easier.

The absolute most important thing is practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. Oh, and that 3" sched 80 is a whole lot easier to work with than 1/8" wall one inch.

The colleges I went to (yes plural, and no not welding, computer science and studio art, lol) all had labs and usually had night and weekend hours. I was lucky in that most of my teachers would let me in even when they didn't have a lab attendant (even the welding shop even though a trained lab attendant was supposed to be there) most would let me do my thing while they were teaching another class as long as it didn't disrupt the class. Probably didn't hurt that I was always willing to share what I know, and it never hurts to have a pro handy when starting beginners with welding equipment.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

I almost forgot. Get yourself a copy of "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" and read it!!!! It is the absolute best reference book I have found on welding. It covers all the processes, and anything you want more detailed info on it tells you where to go get it. You can buy it online from Lincoln for about 15 bucks if I remember correctly, or just about any welding supply should be able to get it for you. Might even be able to get a used one at amazon. Well worth the small price.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Default Try this one guys!

TEKTONE Global Technologies Foundation Inc. is a technical-vocational institution in Bicol that is the premier training provider of globally-competitive skilled workers in construction, tourism and related sectors. It provides competency-based training and outsourcing services for welding and heavy equipment operation.