Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

While I disagree with this pissing contest, sundownIII is right... Too many newbs answering or trying to answer questions above their head, or asking questions that are something you learn in the very beggining or even on the back of the **** tungsten, or electrode package you buy ( amperage range). Or how about those 30 amp spool guns ehh??? Wink Wink. I dont post here often because usually, it just aggrevates me...

It is that type of user who I dont think these books should be, or would be intended for. I am no KB fabrications by any means, I think Im a fairly competant weldor and although im only 23, I have been doing it since I was 11. I have invested alot of time and money in machinesand attempting to better my skills and I really would like an advanced in depth book on how to extract the most from my dynasty...
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    So Crawdaddy,

Would you care to shed some light on the effect of a high frequency pulse rate on thin gauge Stainless Steel? I've done a search and the information seems a little lacking.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/education.../story113.html

Could be a good launching point for reference in the Book
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Put me down for one of these books too.

I'm also a visual person. Nice color pics in the book would help. If there's a good video or two around, I'd like to see those too.

I learned how to MIG weld by watching and "listening" to others. When the bacon's frying with an even sizzle and there's not a lot of spitting, you're welder settings are close.

Now I just need to get myself some of those audible and visual cues to help me with this new TIG welder of mine..

Thanks Miller!
    Regards - Randy

Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart BetaMig 251
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Lincoln 225 BuzzBox
    Current Project;
    http://www.GT-Forty.com

Sounds like many of us are of the same mind... a good comprehensive book.. with the whys and wherefores would be great... Miller Dynasty inverters really are the Cadillac of inverter welders (with a price to prove it)... These machines are smarter than I am... and sure would like a textbook to help level the playing field... and to take full advantage of the myriad of features....
    Tnx
    Heiti

H80N,

Laughing!

Just spent most of the afternoon "playing with" the Dynasty 200.

I had had enough trouble figuring out pulse settings on my Syncrowave 250 with the pulser option. As may know, the Sync goes from .1 to 10 PPS. Now I'm looking at this little Dynasty which goes from .1 to 500 PPS.

Thanks to Brocolli, the article on H.L. Lyons Company was a tremendous help in getting me "in the ballpark" for some of the work I was doing.

The owner's manual tells you how to adjust the machine, but neither it nor the Tig Handbook do a very good job of identifying some basic range parameters to start with. With a range that large (.1-500 PPS) that's a lot of tweaking.

That's just one minor example.

Thanks for bumping the thread.

SundownIII
    the manuals for both the 200dx and 350dx Dyns.... seem to be written with the assumption that we understand the variables... so they give use the rudiments of how to adjust them.....
    an old Estonian saying translates roughly to...

"The more you know, the better you know, how little you know...."

that is where I am,... each time I get a little glimmer more on how to use these..... I can see how much greater the capabilities are...

Thanks
    Heiti

Thanks to Brocolli, the article on H.L. Lyons Company was a tremendous help in getting me "in the ballpark" for some of the work I was doing.
    I agree that we need an in depth manual for the inverter machines this information from the H L lyons Co. is very valuable and just the type of information that most of us are talking about. I thought I checked everything and I did not see this article thank you. Now a question has anyone tried these settings on inconel ,718 or 625 or hastloy ect? I know, why don't I just try it myself well I would if I had some inco parts in the shop but I don't right now. Thank you

wcedesigns.com

Hi, back when I bought my Dynasty 350 I went one snowy afternoon to Visit with Fay Butler Fabrication. I had already read the Miller student package information from front to back and back to front several times.

Also, read some engineering info on Electricity, flow, etc.

Anyhow, for those not in the know. Jesse James west coast choppers was one of Fay's many students.

Fay was given one of the prototype 350's to run thru the paces and had it about a year before product release. In other words a pretty sharp guy. His unit actually had a tig torch cooler bypass setting.

He took me thru the whats and where's and why's of this and that. But even he didn't use all the functions. He said what works, works. Though he did say some of the features like triangle wave forms are great for thin alum.

Anyhow, I am up for a book. At this point I understand what frequency does to the the tightness of the arc, and to a lesser point of AC +/-. I find my welds still look a little chewed up from to much cleaning even with 70-90 percent balance on some stuff and then dirty looking welds on others with 50/50.

A book would be great, and so would a hands on. Seems up in the East coast MA is usually the last place they (Miller) or anybody else ever have anything good. Now in PA it seems they have stuff going on all the time. And I have to say why not MA.

Default pulse

I have been experimenting with the pulse on thin gage material, I was using 500 cycles, 50 percent 28 amps 5 percent background. This setting works good as it keeps the tungsten point much longer on .040 tungsten. The weld looks better but I think its mainly because the point lasts longer. I am using this welding the edge of two .020 pieces

I tried a low pulse setting of 20, and with the auto darkening hood it is very uncomfortable as my eyes are trying to change as it pulses.

I have tried .020 tungsten but it so fragile I have more or less given up on that.

An article explaining this feature I could appreciate thats for sure as well as the other features of my inverter machine!
    mike sr

Pops
    that is what we are talking about ... now if we could just compile all of the experience in one place...
    tnx
    Heiti