Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

John,

Thanks for coming on the board with your comments. Shows Miller is looking for ways to help their owners advance their knowledge.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Fusion King in that a book would be the way to go. I also like the idea of an on line "living document" that could be updated as an owner discovered a little trick "that worked for him".

As a longtime Sync user (over 25 years) who's owned three different versions of the 250, the capabilities of the inverter machines still amazes me.

Over the last several years I've had the opportunity to use friends Dynasty 200's and 300's, and really liked the way they performed. Mostly though, it was to "get a job done" and really had little chance to "put one thru her paces" and explore other options available. That changed recently when I purchased a Dynasty 200 DX to supplement the Sync 250 DX that I have.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been "playing around" with different settings on the machine. I can honestly say I've barely scratched the surface on "optimizing the machine" for certain applications. I have found that having the ability to adjust the frequency is awesome for welding aluminum. Now if I could just figure out some optimal settings for doing thin gauge SS, I'd be on cloud nine.

In a previous lifetime, I was responsible for developing techincal manuals for the military. From that experience, I can understand the difficulty you face in developing a manual detailed enough to benefit the "experienced user" while still being basic enough to be comprehended by the "newbie". With that said, I think there's currently enough "basic" information out there. What's needed is more detail and application information.

Also, I will also add that there currently exists some confusion (different data) between several of your own (Miller) resources. In point, the Tig Handbook, on line guides, and the Tig calculator show much different values for the same applications. I know this is probably due to the differences between the transformers and inverters, but this is not always made clear.

With all that said, I think an on line reference may be the way to go. You could start with a basic shell and add additional information as it becomes available. What I'm thinking would go something like this:

A user finds a set of parameters that work particularly well for doing, let's say, 1/8" SS corner joints. He posts up his settings in a "try this" forum. Users have a chance to try them out and report back their results. If the reports indicate that it is a "good set of parameters" then that comment/setting becomes a part of the basic "living document". The difficulty comes in cataloging that data so that it can be easily retrieved by the interested user. That's where Miller, with their experience, comes in.

Just something to think about. From the responses already, sounds like there are some experienced users out there who would be more than willing to help. Another problem to be addressed is that it would need to be made clear that this particular forum is NOT directed at the "what size tungsten do I use?" user. You have some very experienced users who've really "taken their machines thru the paces" (KB Fabrications for one) who don't post here much anymore because they got tired of answering basic questions that are already covered in detail in the owners manuals.

The ball is now in Miller's court.

Personally I think this site's compilation of product training and the knowledge and opinions of the members here is pretty comprehensive, IMO the majority of what you need to know can be found here if you are willing to put in the time to look for the information.Mike

So Crawdaddy,

Would you care to shed some light on the effect of a high frequency pulse rate on thin gauge Stainless Steel? I've done a search and the information seems a little lacking.

As I said in my previous post, the suggested forum would not be for "basic information" which is available elsewhere. It would be for the advanced user who wants to achieve maximum performance from a highly advanced welding machine.

PS: In my book, anyone who "thinks" he's welding 1/2" aluminum "properly" at 200A, is still at the "basic" stage of development.

Your book doesnt mean squat to me.Who are you to critize me? Ill stop there My post regarding the 200 amp AL welding was in the format of a QUESTION that is why I asked it because I dont know.Now if maybe if you asked someone at Miller about your your freq question I bet the engineers at Miller could answer it for you, Or maybe you will just keep playing with the adjustments a few more years.Mike

Well............
    I for one would sure like to see a book on the subject...... which is the reason that I started this thread to begin with............
    Tnx
    Heiti

BTW.. Bickering will get us nowhere.. just waste our time...

H80N,

Unfortunately, Crawdaddy is precisely the type user I was referring to in my previous posting. This is the same poster who asks the question, "do I use electrode postitive when welding steel?". The book/forum I think we're talking about is not for the user who doesn't even read his owner's manual or believe the data put out by the manufacturers regarding equipment capabilities. I suspect that they think some "wiseguy" just went off in the corner and pulled an answer out of their arse.

I've been tig welding for longer than many on this board have been around (think mid '60's and old Linde heliarc equipment) and every day I learn something new. The feeling I got, moving from the old sine wave equipment to the squarewave machines (WOW!), is the same feeling I now get in exploring the capabilities of the inverters.

The first thing I did when my new 200 arrived was sit down and read the owners manual from cover to cover. Couple of sections I had to read twice to fully comprehend. Covers a lot of detail with regards to how to set the machine up for a particular task, but is sorely lacking in explaining the WHY.

I think that's what a lot of users are looking for.

I'll take one of those books. I'm pretty sureI fall into the experianced tig welder category but the Dynasty has so many capabilities it's a bit overwhelming. These things do most anything great at the factory default settings but I have already seen that these things are simply amazing when you play with the adjustments.I just finished a set of stainless mufflers and was amazed at the slick welds I achieved using the pulse.

Heck,

I don't need no frigging book.

I didn't even read the owner's manual.

If I've got a question, I'll just ask it on the INTERNET.

Sound familar?

Default Blah.Blah,Blah,Blah

Would you like some cheese with your Whine?Mike

The great thing about this forum and the American way is that there is a great diversity of style and opinion.... while not always harmonious... it is part of what helps to make up the incredible knowledge base here....
    and while some of us have the time and inclination to mine past posts for the information wanted.... others of us would prefer to have a hard copy on paper...
    tnx
    Heiti