Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Ed
    good article but .. pretty short... Methinks that the subject warrents a lot more depth... ( a book would be the ticket)
    Thanks
    Heiti

Indeed.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Guys
    Have been Tig Welding since the late 1960's..... so am not looking for a beginners instruction book...... What I am hoping for is a Cookbook/Instruction Book that Addresses the extended capabilities of the Dynasty Machines.... Added a Dyn 350 Tigrunner about a year and a half ago and a Dyn 200 (Blue Lightning) a few months ago..... to our arsenal... these machines have HUGE capabilities beyond the old Chopper or Mag-Amp Tig machines...... was hoping that someone at Miller or one of our resident experts had started on such a project...... if nothing else maybe we could use this thread to exchange favorite setting info,, quirks,, tricks,, etc for these exceptional inverters......
    Would be Nice if Miller were to add an additional chapter to the Tig Handbook that addresses this new universe of possibles... (but a whole book would ge great..)
    Tnx
    Heiti
    You know, it's funny you ask. I'm currently looking into additional methods of education and training on our TIG machines as well as the TIG process in general. We do have a ton of TIG information on the Miller website right now for beginner up to advanced welder, but we also realize that it's not always easy to find or in the format that you would prefer. Some prefer books, some like in depth articles about specific applications or procedures and some like videos where they can see what’s going on. I've even received several requests from individuals for live hands on educational seminars put on by Miller so that they can ask questions and get immediate feedback. So my questions to all of you would be: What learning tools would you prefer: a book, videos, live training/seminars spread out at locations around the country? Also, what subject matter are you in need of the most; what TIG machine to buy, specific applications or techniques, what do specific machine features do, etc?

Like anything else, the more you are interested in something, the more you want to learn about it. This in turn continues to feed the interest. Personally I feel the more we here at Miller can keep you informed and interested about welding; the better it is for the both of us.

I'm very interested in reading all your input.
    John Swartz
    Miller Electric Mfg., Co.

John.Swartz@MillerWelds.com

Have to agree with all posters. My two Wheat pennies is that the owners manual is common knowledge poor at best and I've read it multiple times. It does an outstanding job at safety orientation but is bluntly piss poor if you're learning pulsing. Forget any advanced operations, just forget it. Learn it yourself on the internet.
    Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
    Dynasty 200DX
    Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
    Trek 5500
    1966 Amphicar

Quote Originally Posted by Miller JSWARTZIV View Post
    You know, it's funny you ask. I'm currently looking into additional methods of education and training on our TIG machines as well as the TIG process in general. We do have a ton of TIG information on the Miller website right now for beginner up to advanced welder, but we also realize that it's not always easy to find or in the format that you would prefer. Some prefer books, some like in depth articles about specific applications or procedures and some like videos where they can see what’s going on. I've even received several requests from individuals for live hands on educational seminars put on by Miller so that they can ask questions and get immediate feedback. So my questions to all of you would be: What learning tools would you prefer: a book, videos, live training/seminars spread out at locations around the country? Also, what subject matter are you in need of the most; what TIG machine to buy, specific applications or techniques, what do specific machine features do, etc?

Like anything else, the more you are interested in something, the more you want to learn about it. This in turn continues to feed the interest. Personally I feel the more we here at Miller can keep you informed and interested about welding; the better it is for the both of us.

I'm very interested in reading all your input.
    John, Glad to see your reply.
    I think a book based on the Dynasty series that took into account every single function, and went into depth with the cause and effect of that functions entire range would be sufficient for starters. Then go into detail on common techiques of using each function. By doing that and diccussing the effect on material types and thicknesses, it would be quite lengthy.
    Something like..."Getting the most out of your inverter tig machine"
    I bet it would take at least a year to write.
    Then a class/seminar thing might work but it would just be nice to get something into print that could be thrown into the truck at all times or in the shop depending on where the machine was.
    The "dummy" book was great..it layed a groundwork for many. I even like it. It also proved your ability to write good concise info as well. Making it fairly clear another better more technical book would be possible.
    I believe you need to go to both big and small shops and pick brains on what people are doing with these machines as well and then mix that in with the intended purpose of the funtions.
    I have "invented" a trick or two and I'm sure there would be some others out there I could use eveyday as well.
    The newsletter thing you guys send out could be something that had newer techniques as well when you run across them. Right now everything I get like that seems to be more geared towards selling new machines IMO.
    I wouldn't be too keen on paying for a seminar only to find out it was a waste of time tho in this economy. Unless it was cheap enuff. maybe more of a forum based get together?? With Miller bringing stuff to work with??
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

A book like described above that would also include a quick reference guide.

I would alos be interested in a hands on training seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    John, Glad to see your reply.
    I think a book based on the Dynasty series that took into account every single function, and went into depth with the cause and effect of that functions entire range would be sufficient for starters. Then go into detail on common techiques of using each function. By doing that and diccussing the effect on material types and thicknesses, it would be quite lengthy.
    Something like..."Getting the most out of your inverter tig machine"
    I bet it would take at least a year to write.
    Then a class/seminar thing might work but it would just be nice to get something into print that could be thrown into the truck at all times or in the shop depending on where the machine was.
    The "dummy" book was great..it layed a groundwork for many. I even like it. It also proved your ability to write good concise info as well. Making it fairly clear another better more technical book would be possible.
    I believe you need to go to both big and small shops and pick brains on what people are doing with these machines as well and then mix that in with the intended purpose of the funtions.
    I have "invented" a trick or two and I'm sure there would be some others out there I could use eveyday as well.
    The newsletter thing you guys send out could be something that had newer techniques as well when you run across them. Right now everything I get like that seems to be more geared towards selling new machines IMO.
    I wouldn't be too keen on paying for a seminar only to find out it was a waste of time tho in this economy. Unless it was cheap enuff. maybe more of a forum based get together?? With Miller bringing stuff to work with??

I think Fusionking said it best, and I could not agree more....
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

What FusionKing said...
    Dynasty 200 DX runner
    Sync 350 LX
    XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
    Hobart 135
    ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

I agree with Most of what Fusionking says.... with the exception of it taking a year..... Maybe..... If we think outside of the box... we could speed up the process and make it more efficient.... having the first draft posted online as a pdf... where we can all look it over, proofread, add info etc. If Miller were to assign a technical writer/editor to integrate the input and info from the engineers in Appleton and the users out in the field. there is an awful lot of experience and knowledge from the end users that will complement that of the engineering team to make it a more complete and comprehensive document.. I believe that the development time could be shortened considerably... and it would in effect become a living document... where there would be a collaberative effort of all involved...
    At the time of completion I for one would be more than happy to pay for a bound copy...

What do you guys think?

thanks
    Heiti
    Last edited by H80N; 06-19-2009 at 09:46 PM.

I think that seminars held in conjunction with road show apperances would be nice for those who could attend. I really believe a book would be the best though, as it would be a part of my reference collection for ever. This book would be great for the end user (us) but could also be an important tool for industry and secondary education when used as a text book. Sign me up!!! JEFF
    200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot