Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

H80N,

I dont believe that Miller could provide that to an experienced tig welder. I know that they dont keep anybody on staff that has more tig experience than myself.

Dont get me wrong, they build a great product - but thats exactly what they are suppost to do - build electronic devices. Its not like that have an extensive weldlab that does nothing but welding process development. They built welders and let the open market direct what changes should be made.

For example - The aerowave was a product that welded aluminum in a great way. The market said " Its too hard to use"
    ITW shareholders said " Build it cheaper, sell it for more"

Miller built the Dynasty 350.

Just because they don't have a responsibility to teach us to Paint doesn't mean that they can't

I know most want a hard book of some sorts but I figger the best they would do is a Web Series on the Dynasty. Relatively cheap to produce and very cheap to distribute.

Perhaps GTA/Spec could be the Instructor
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Think that perhaps GTA/SPEC , you have underestimated the level of expertise available at Miller.....and the complexity of the machines... the Dynasty series has a whole series of nested hidden menus... in conversations with some from Appleton, they tell me there is a lot more depth of the capabilities of these machines....than the manual reveals....
    Of course since you have Superior knowledge... I would think that they would welcome your guidance....

I think that some of you guys have underestimated GTA's knowledge. He works with automated orbital equipment that is FAR more complicated than anything Miller sells or produces. I'd go so far as to say he would be the "man" to write a book on tig welders but it would likely go way over the heads of the average user. Miller would love to have a guy like him on staff.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Thanks for the support Showdog.

I really dont mean to brag. I know many tig weldors that know more about advanced tig than Millers sales and application guys. (Again, they are great guys - but they just dont see the application that guys like myself have to deal with on a daily basis.)

Hobart on the other hand (the real Hobart. Not the new hobart....) They had a weldlab. Hobart Advanced Systems drove the tig market to new levels. Over ten years before Miller had the Aerowave, Hobart had the VP300s. Hobart invested millions into advancing tig technology through application proven in the weldlab and the field. From orbital to robotic to fixed automation.

Hobart could do this because is was a family owned organization. And they could justify their efforts. They didnt have any shareholders to keep happy.

Miller is very gratious to put forth the efforts that they do. Miller does currently have the best tig book on the market. But books can only go so far. Their books and resources will help 97% of their tig clients. But if you want that last 3% of tig perfection - its going to come from one of two actions...... years of development time under the hood or specialized training.

Also, my opinion is that the dynasty is a very simple machine. Even with the back menu's and all of the adjustable feature - its nothing compaired to an orbital pipe tig system. With a dynasty, you dont need a calculator and a bunch of scratch paper to come up with a proceedure. You just do it.

GTA/SPEC
    you have made it clear that you are not interested in a book..... so why muddy the water for the rest of us that do????
    Since you know it all, how about letting us ignorant souls and the engineers from Miller work this out for ourselves???

Orbital: we were using that 20 years ago at Sandia Labs to weld plumbing for Hydrazine thrusters in satellite applications... and it was not terribly complex....
    and years later for the semiconductor industry.... is a very cool buzzword but pretty old technology....
    OK we are impressed with your all encompassing knowledge.... hope you work and live outside... cuz yer head won't fit the doorways...

H80N,

I would read the book if Miller did infact publish a new one. But what I am saying is that what you are seeking is not easily transcribed into a "how to" book.

I hesitated to bring up orbital because it is not very well understood. You are refering to orbital tube welding. Made famous in the semiconductor and sanitary industries. This is very, very, very different from what is known as Orbital Pipe welding - borne in the Nuclear power industry. More than likely, your orbital experience did not include variables like, wirefeed, hot wirefeed, sync pulse, AVC, heat input calculations, ferrite% calculations, travel velocity calculations on pipe roots that start at 6" and cap at 8" OD.... Not to mention the powersource variables...

This is the kind of stuff that Showdog and myself have to deal with on a daily basis. Orbital tube is easy. Orbital Pipe is a totally different animal.

Good luck on getting the book. If it does happen, I hope that it helps you.
    I dont know your level of tig, but if you did what you say you did, you probably already know more about Tig that Miller does.

DUDE....we get you.
    Now if you are the kind of guy who uses a chart on the mig to get your settings going, then this book would be a great thing for hundreds of people.
    I Myself, do,"just do it", every freekin' day.....but....even I think it would be cool if I had some handy dandy book that was compiled that incorporated all the finer aspects of modern tigs to GENERAL applications.
    Tigs have come a long way in the last few years. Videos on places such as youtube are pretty cool as well to watch for people.

If Miller doesn't have anyone capable that sucks.

I kind'a doubt that is the case tho.....read up on just exactly what Miller requires for someone to be on their team these days. Having a person with a welding engineering background and the ability to document the hundreds of variables and compile it into a book is not that far out of the question. That person could make a pretty decent chunk of change for writing it. Would it sell??? Even the crappy welding books are selling. Look how many people tell you which ones are good and which ones stink.
    If it was a good, handy, paperback I could see it being referred to something like "Miller's Inverter Manual" says do blah blah. And as technology advances they could even come out with the 2nd edition etc.
    I don't think it is all that far out. You could for example write a chapter on the effects of balance, with decent photographs explaining the effects of each end of the spectrum. Other chapters could be written in the same fashion about features such as pulse and frequency. When you stop and consider the types of materials and polarities these chapters could be quite lengthy and deep. As the book went on it could describe the effects of the combining of these functions.
    God forbid this author would actually have sources (like weldors) to draw from that possibly have more experience at given processes than himself.
    With all the Bling type features that are coming out on welding machines these days it is hard for even the most advanced operators to know what effect every function will have on a given application. This book could serve as a decent starting point for even the elite operator IMO.
    Very few people out there would know how to use a Dynasty to it's full potential. Or even recognize which direction to head to remedy every situation. Even the author himself would more than likely use this as a reference to even write the stinkin' thing.
    If you have read Yorkiepap's posts, you will see he keeps careful track of his settings on various projects and write's them down for future reference. Not far of from what kind of research one must do to get the information needed.
    In all reality the owners manuals that come with the Dynasties give some pretty fair explanations of the priciples of the functions themselves. A book written with a set of basic charts for each of these sections would would even be a starting point.
    Write it for the 700 and then you could just refer to it where your amperage and features applied. I don't see authoring such a book as "Rocket Science" but some of that could be cool for pics
    If we didn't have the internet.....I'd bet this book would already have been written.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Talking

FusionKing
    that was exceptionally well put...

THANK YOU!!!

Default Search this

Just a quick search of the jobs Miller is offering at this site will reveal the caliber of folks they have on staff. I doubt hardly anyone knows just exactly what each and every person is capable of....let alone what a company of such a diverse background could actually do. But at the time I checked here they had openings for 3 welding engineers and the one I liked the most was ARC RESEARCH SCIENTIST....read the job qualifications for that and see if maybe you have a shot!!! (anybody)

https://www1.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...controller.cfm

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX