Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default american optical cool blue

there is 2 original american optical cool blue lenses on ebay

I have to ask because it was before my time; what is so special about this lens?

Quote Originally Posted by just_a_girl View Post
    I have to ask because it was before my time; what is so special about this lens?
    The last time I used one was the late 1960's or early 1970's, the clarity is / was amazing!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

So why are they still not made if they were so good?

That question has been asked a million times, but nobody knows.

I forgot to mention, and I don't really remember, but some people state the Cool Blue had a blue tint / hue. Evidently hence the name. I do remember how clear they are. The Lincoln Super visibility are very close! And only cost a fraction of the Cool Blue.

Caution!

Quote Originally Posted by just_a_girl View Post
    So why are they still not made if they were so good?
    from what ive heard is that they used cobalt in the making process or it is made of cobalt... either way, it had radiation in it and the radiation was thought to be released when it was hot ie. while welding and there were safety concerns and what not and so production got shut down.... again, i cant back this up with facts, just what ive read and heard on the subject
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Default Cobalt Blue

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    from what ive heard is that they used cobalt in the making process or it is made of cobalt... either way, it had radiation in it and the radiation was thought to be released when it was hot ie. while welding and there were safety concerns and what not and so production got shut down.... again, i cant back this up with facts, just what ive read and heard on the subject
    Not sure about that one, but THEY WERE/ARE EXPENSIVE About $50-65 per lens.

Originally made for gas welding aluminum, and cutting/brazing, the blue lens was able to filter out the yellow/orange flare associated with fluxes and such.

If they are anything like the blue tinted esab auto darkening helmet I tried a few months back I could see why they are worth so much. I got to weld some aluminum with this helmet and it was simply amazing the clarity. I have been putting some serious thought into getting one. But at $400 it is hard to justify right now.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Caution!

they stoped making the lenses cause the mine they got the cobalt from ran out and the did not think finding another mine would be worth the money or somethin like that. yes there is a cobalt that emits radiation its cobalt #97 or something like that . the cobalt in the lenses is #92. I dont know if i got the numbers right but I read all this on the net a year ago so its hard to remember. All this info came from a letter written by some big wig for american optical that some body had posted on the net. It was the hole story of them not making them anymore. the high vis lenses are nice but the cool blues are still way better. I use a high vis right now and have two cool blues that I dont use cause i am scared of breaking them. One just sold for 465 on ebay. so i know they are worth alot to people.