Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: nice welds

Quote Originally Posted by welderdude402 View Post
    no, its a solid weld, basically like whipping some 6010. and the slag you mentioned is actually silicon that melted out of the electrode and solidified on the top of the weld, where it cooled after the arc was moved.

also, the pointed end that you menioned generally means too much heat.

(boy, its been a while since i've been on here)
    Those are good words and it makes sense to me as a rookie, pointed end too much heat, round even puddle just right.Mike

Consider me corrected.

Found the picture I took of some of the welds on my welding table.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...1bc3d1c0d9.jpg

I dont claim they are the best, but with a MM180 going from 1.5"x1/8th sq to 1/4" plate, I think I did alright.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Quote Originally Posted by On fire most of the time View Post
    Consider me corrected.

Found the picture I took of some of the welds on my welding table.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...1bc3d1c0d9.jpg

I dont claim they are the best, but with a MM180 going from 1.5"x1/8th sq to 1/4" plate, I think I did alright.
    Slow your hand speed down. You can see that your travel speed is too quick by the peak in the center of your weld and the inconsistency in the toe width.

You may have to adjust your wire speed down a hair to accommodate a slower travel.
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked.

Thanks for the comments/constructive criticism.

You are right, those welds are a little peaked...but they are rather consistant (IMO at least). I had the MM180 set up for 3/16" The tube is .125 wall, and the top is .250. I didnt want to blow holes in the tube, and since I spaced the welds out all the way around the inside perimeter of the table like that...its not going anywhere. Anyway, thats probably why they ended up like that.

At the beginning and end of each weld there is a tack. I dont know if thats the part that youre talking about...but in the middle of the weld there isnt MUCH variation. The weld on the right is a much better example of that. (I know im not gods gift to welding, or a machine...but they dont look too bad to me.)

The one weld on the left in that picture is a little boogered, my glove got stuck on a piece of slag for a second. Anyway, thats question 1.

Question 2...how long have you been welding to be able to pull that off on the .188 CR?

Anyway, about to start another thread for my welding cart, feel free to throw your .02 in over there too.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    Those are good words and it makes sense to me as a rookie, pointed end too much heat, round even puddle just right.Mike

Glad I could help

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

a few pictures of some of my welds from a few trucks I've built.

hi just wanted to post a link to a couple pages of nice welds
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2503416

Engine stand I recently made, mig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Quote Originally Posted by MrBurns View Post
    hi just wanted to post a link to a couple pages of nice welds
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2503416
    Ha! Someone threw up one of my old pics in post#16