Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: nice welds

Quote Originally Posted by spence648 View Post
    hey ztfab, nice welds. on the dom tubing how are you gettin the welds that wide. are you doing circles, or a j from the top? pulsing the pedal at all? just curios. i like the way they turned out dam near perfect.
    Thanks spence. No funny business with the torch. Straight, linear torch movements, steady pedal, and plenty of filler.

IMO, most people starve the weld of filler and that is why they lack throat depth and/or toe width.
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked.

ok thanks ztfab. but that info just leads me too one more question. lol. did you use 1/16 filler and push it in or 3/32 ?

.045" and feed the sh!t out of it.

I prefer smaller fillers for better puddle control.

I just noticed that those were Mig welds on the cold rolled steel. How the heck did you get such a nice pattern? Even the Mig welds I thought were decent that I laid down look nothing like that. I thought they were tig when I just looked at them really quickly. Looks like I've got a long way to go.
    DYNASTY 200SD
    COOLMATE 1
    MM140AS
    SPOOLMATE 100
    SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
    SPECTRUM 125C

I think they were stitch welded...if you look at the backside of every single nugget, theres a touch of...for lack of a better term in my mind right now...slag.

That slight discoloration/slag puddle at the back side of all of them only happens if you pull the trigger, finish the weld, move the gun, repeat. ZT, please feel free to correct me if thats not what you did...but from my experience, thats how it looks to me. Also doesnt look like the last one "feeds" into the next, it doesnt have a pointed end, its completely round.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Quote Originally Posted by dpansier View Post
    Best welding I've seen on Aluminum, this guy is gifted.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=1282128&postc
    I think I went to high school with that guy. I am going to have to look into it.

i dont think they look stitch welded. it looks to me like he pushed foward then moved backwards and let the puddle grab the edges.

zt thanks for the info. .045 wow i never would of guessed that. im gonna practice trying to get my tig weld beads to look like that on steal. right now if i want to get a wide tig bead i do a weave or move the torch in circles(wich is hard to be consistant for me). but i like the looks of yours much better.
    Last edited by spence648; 08-20-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by On fire most of the time View Post
    I think they were stitch welded...if you look at the backside of every single nugget, theres a touch of...for lack of a better term in my mind right now...slag.

That slight discoloration/slag puddle at the back side of all of them only happens if you pull the trigger, finish the weld, move the gun, repeat. ZT, please feel free to correct me if thats not what you did...but from my experience, thats how it looks to me. Also doesnt look like the last one "feeds" into the next, it doesnt have a pointed end, its completely round.
    no, its a solid weld, basically like whipping some 6010. and the slag you mentioned is actually silicon that melted out of the electrode and solidified on the top of the weld, where it cooled after the arc was moved.

also, the pointed end that you menioned generally means too much heat.

(boy, its been a while since i've been on here)

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by On fire most of the time View Post

Quote Originally Posted by welderdude402 View Post
    no, its a solid weld, basically like whipping some 6010. and the slag you mentioned is actually silicon that melted out of the electrode and solidified on the top of the weld, where it cooled after the arc was moved.

also, the pointed end that you menioned generally means too much heat.

(boy, its been a while since i've been on here)
    Welderdude has it correct....all of my welds are continuous, no "trigger" welding. That is for people who don't know how to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by spence648 View Post
    i dont think they look stitch welded. it looks to me like he pushed foward then moved backwards and let the puddle grab the edges.

zt thanks for the info. .045 wow i never would of guessed that. im gonna practice trying to get my tig weld beads to look like that on steal. right now if i want to get a wide tig bead i do a weave or move the torch in circles(wich is hard to be consistant for me). but i like the looks of yours much better.
    No problem spence. If you want to get good at feeding, try welding aluminum with .045" filler. I use it often and have become used to it.