Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding Time

Default Welding Time

I am trying to quote a welding job and wanted to see if anyone knows about a std. labor rate for wleding per minute? What is the best way to separate the wleding labor costs? Do I quote based on may be 2" per minute of welding?

Is there a rule of thumb to use for wleding costs per inch? I have heard may be about $0.75 per inch of weld? I know it is related to position and the type of weld..I am just looking for a simple rule of thumb.

Thank you
    Jabeel

Process, position, type and size of weld.??? How many inches can you weld in an hour, what would you like to make an hour.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default "Don't Quit Your Day Job"

Quote Originally Posted by Jabeel View Post
    I am trying to quote a welding job and wanted to see if anyone knows about a std. labor rate for wleding per minute? What is the best way to separate the wleding labor costs? Do I quote based on may be 2" per minute of welding?

Is there a rule of thumb to use for wleding costs per inch? I have heard may be about $0.75 per inch of weld? I know it is related to position and the type of weld..I am just looking for a simple rule of thumb.

Thank you
    Jabeel

If you have to ask how to quote the job, one wonders if you KNOW the job.

Jabeel, I'm not being cynical, but if you were to ask "How are welding costs figured?"
    you would have gotten 100's of honest replies based on depostion, labor, and overhead costs.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 06-17-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Thumbs down Black eye and a rap to boot

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    If you have to ask how to quote the job, one wonders if you KNOW the job.

Jabeel, I'm not being cynical, but if you were to ask "How are welding costs figured?"
    you would have gotten 100's of honest replies based on depostion, labor, and overhead costs.

Dave
    Jabeel I agree with Dave:: I would like to add something as well.. If you are a qualified welder/fabricator with any experience you would know at least the starting point in which to figure out a base price, and go from there. And if you are doing this on the side or as a hobby, it would not be fair to the customer to charge the same as one that is in business and to the welding shops in your area that have expenses that you don't have. I am sorry if this sounds harsh but this goes on all the time people seek out the cheapest way out, and I gives the ones that's in it for their livelihood a bad rap...
    Bob

Default how much

thats a tough one, im facing the same challenge, im in so. new hampshire, i had a business from 1985 to 1993 till pop got sick and had to close up, back then going rates were 30 to 40 bucks/hr. i recently opened up a new business, still in nh but im out of the beaten path, established welders are anywhere from 50 to 80 hr, they are not busy, when a customer comes in, they used to say....can you fix it... now they say is ....how much... im trying to get reestablished again so im shooting for 30 an hour and i bump it up for heavy consumption, most people dont want to pay for the time it takes to do it right, if you dont do it right or skimp to please, you wont be in business long and you put your life in jepordy from lawsuits.

If you're opening up a legitimate shop, you better charge alot more than $30 an hour or you'll be bankrupt before you get off the ground. You're not even covering your costs at that low rate, unless your land, building and all equipment are paid for and your help are working for free. Even then, your insurance company and taxes will kill any profit you might be able make at that rate. If you're operating mobile too, don't even bother putting the key in the ignition to go to a job at that rate, you're money is gone before you even start it. I operate my shop out of my garage and everything is paid for and $35 is barely scraping by. At $65 for mobile, with the truck and equipment paid for, it's still not alot of profit, but enough to get by on. I should be charging $50 for the shop rate and $80 for mobile, but this economy just won't support it right now.

Welding costs per minute... not going to get any relevant info unless it's a high volume production operation making hundreds or thousands of the same part in large batches. No way to generalize weld/minute on one-off fabrication or repair work. Charge by cost of materials, cost of consumables, cost of fixed overhead and then profit, based on how many hours you realisticaly think it should take you to do the job, with a little extra cushion for just in case, cause there's always something unforeseen that hangs up and costs extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabeel View Post

Thank you
    Jabeel
    dude, prep work is like 85% of most welding tasks. so quoting based on inches of deposited weld seems kinda silly.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

Default piece work...

For piece work, I normally charge 25-50 for work which takes under a half hour. For a full hour or more I simply use a flat rate of 75, plus consumables.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck