Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thank You again for the good comments.

loudnproud looks like you've got a good bumper there. how did you bend those plates where it mounts to the frame?

The plate came from a friend of mine. He is an ironworker and he makes reference to these plates as ( bentplate ). I really have no clue as to what these are used for but he gets left overs of all sizes of thickness and size of flange and leg.

urch55 Great job your hired.!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks like you did a real nice fabricating and welding job. How much tongue weight are you having to hold up. Reason I ask I only see one weak spot. But if you will have a 500 lbs or less you should be fine..
    Bob

Thank You urch55

It would not be out of reason if I was to exceed 500 lbs.
    I welcome any input as to a design flaw.

Pass-N-Gas Round off those corners..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do yourself and every mechanic in the distant future a favor by rounding off those corners with a grinder then a flap disc.. Nice work just keep it safe for all of the people that work around it..

Yes I agree of the corner and sharp edge hazard. As soon as I decide if I can use the length of the receiver tube for the spare tire carrier, I plan to take the hitch off and dress up the corners and make it pretty with a good coat of black paint.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

I agree fine job and I like the saftey chain plate, I probably wouldnt have bothered with the back plate just for time and extra work but it isnt going to hurt anything. I would be interested in the design flaw also?
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-19-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Thumbs up nice job

looks great.that thing will out live the truck its hanging off of.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up Capacity Rating

Hey there Guys. It's not a Design Flaw, I think it's a great hitch, for a certain rating. I am around a lot of equipment trailers and trucks from the construction and forestry trades. I have had to repair 6 to 12 hitches of that same design made by truck body shops. I am not talking about the cheap out of the box hitches.
    The problem lies with lack of support for your receiver tube, with a heavy vertical load plus let's not for get the shock load factor, there is going to be a twisting action of that 3" sq. tube. you need to install another one as far back as possable. plus on the side plates it would have been nice to leave about 2 or 3 more inches before coming down on the 45 degree angle. I only say this because I have seen it happen. But the hitch looks great YOU DID A GREAT JOB... I noticed the date on the photo so it looks like you have been using it for a few years...I do not mean any dis respect here......
    Bob

My apologizes gentlemen,I think I am the one that used the word design flaw

Urch There was No disrespect taken at all. I always welcome advise, if I didn't want ideas and thoughts I wouldn't have posted. That is the reason we all post here isn't it. Well and the satisfaction of hearing good words of others on a job well done.

I want to make this completely right. And looking back at specs of the hitches built this way, they all have a tongue limit of 500 or 600 lbs with out the weight distribution. I do want to be able to carry more then this safely since I borrow my dads dump trailer 8x16. I have never weighed it but I would think that it crosses the scales at more then 500 lbs on the tongue.

I had actually thought briefly of supporting the front most portion of the receiver tube. Tho my thought was to use 3/8x3 angle. Now I am not sure that the angle has enough support the way I would place it. Maybe I need to use the square tube instead.

Here is a pic of the placement I thought of.

Another thought is. Does anyone think that maybe since I am only using 1/2 bolts that I should upgrade to maybe 5/8. I am not sure I can get the right length but I have bought bolts from the Cat dealer and if I remember correctly they were equal to grade 12. After looking at the hitches on super duty trucks they have 4 bolts on each side.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Thumbs up Beefy Hitch

Hey there Tom That place that you have marked out in red is exactly where it needs to go. In fact weld a gusset on the side plates before installing your tubing. That will make up for the cutout of the side plates. Then your hitch will hold any thing your truck can.. Use 3" sq.tube 1/4" wall..
    Bob

In that application box tube is stronger than angle.
    FYI: 1/2-inch grade 5 bolt in shear is 14,730 pounds. 1/2-inch grade 8 shear is 17,870.
    I know you installed this hitch on a Ford, but if you add the box tube and just (4) 1/2-inch bolts I think even a built Ford tuff truck will fail first!

Thanks guys. Not sure if I will get to play before the first of the week. Being divorced I don't see my kids much, and my son made it over this weekend. So I think I will be spending a good deal of the dad weekend with him. I'll post pics later in the week.

I hope all the dads have a good weekend.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

I was thinking about the hitch after I posted last and I have to ask Urch, Was this where you thought the gusset should be ( the red triangle )? ? At the end of the square tube filling in the square corner? Or did you mean you would weld in the square tube and then place a gusset from the bottom of the tube up to the plate at a 45 degree angle ( the blue triangle ) ?

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

Thumbs up Hitch in Progress.

Hey there Tom Weld the gusset where the red one is, and make it big enough or long enough to cap the end of the tubing. That in itself will add a lot of strenth add to this the tubing and you have your self an indestructible hitch. .. You said in an earlyer post that you barrow a dump trailer well one of my customers has a dump trailer and that is what twisted his hitch down. Dump trailers has the axles back real far and that adds tongue weight in itself... As far as bolts the most important bolts are the ones at the back side of the truck or the first set as you face the hitch. Most of the weight is on thoes threads, don't think of shear that's not the case, you can aways put a double row of bolts that take 90% of the load about two inches apart that should take any of your concerns away of the bolts. And yes I have seen bolts strip their threads and not shear off...
    Bob