Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 375 plasma

Default 375 plasma

i bought a 375 plasma, hooked it up to cut. I used on 14 gauge purlins cut well. then i tried on used 1/4" plate for practice and would not cut at all. It would start then it would turn off at several attempts. I am using nitrogen at 90#, machine @ 60#, amp setting 24-27 and nothing. ANY POINTERS

When mine acts like that, it's because it doesn't have enough air. Have to let the compressor run some more and catch up. That only happens with the compressor in the shop. The compressor on the truck is much more powerful and the plasma never starves for air with that one. I've never ran mine from a compressed gas bottle so have no idea what the problem may be, provided the bottle is not near empty.

My 375 e-treame does this when I have a poor ground at the clamp or I am starting a cut on a painted surface. I notice this more on thin stuff like 55 gal barrels. My thought was that the ground clamp doesn't rest totally flat on the thin stuff. I'm not sure if this will help ya but it may be a place to start. I haven't had any troubles with low air except when I forget to turn the compressor on, and even then it runs fine until the air drops really low. I do have to cycle the power switch after I get the air pressure light turned on.

Good luck

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Make sure that the air pressure is spec'd with the torch depressed or with the air set on and air flowing to read 60psi. Naturally if you set the air pressure gage on a non flowing state, it'll drop when flowing and you won't get much of a cut out of it.

Default 375 plasma

thanks for the reply will try on my days off.

Default 375 plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    When mine acts like that, it's because it doesn't have enough air. Have to let the compressor run some more and catch up. That only happens with the compressor in the shop. The compressor on the truck is much more powerful and the plasma never starves for air with that one. I've never ran mine from a compressed gas bottle so have no idea what the problem may be, provided the bottle is not near empty.
    I do have the bottle regulated @90# i'll bump it a bit and try it again. Does it matter if metal is new or rusted a bit ( no scale of rust)

Default 375 plasma

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Make sure that the air pressure is spec'd with the torch depressed or with the air set on and air flowing to read 60psi. Naturally if you set the air pressure gage on a non flowing state, it'll drop when flowing and you won't get much of a cut out of it.
    thanks for replying will try it again