Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pipe liners welding 'hood'

They look like a circular piece of sheet metal with an opening for a set of goggles to be inserted. Thats how it looked in the pics at any rate. I think they were held on the head by the goggle strap. Some also had one side of the circle bent at a right angle to the front (back toward the head). So, why the custom setup? Are they supposed to be cooler or ??? Seemed sort of strange and I wondered about the whys. Any of you pipe line types use this type of hood?

Have you ever welded outside and had the sun shine into the backside of your hood?

I have a "wendy's" brand hood and love it although I'm not a pipeliner. It gets used quite abit, with alot of my work being outside.

No, Im usually inside/under a machine all cramped up groping around for the thing I was going to weld or in the shade in front of the shop. No extensive experience w/ back lighting.

Looked up the name you gave and that helps...pancake hoods. Hmmmm...they must be cooler too?
    Last edited by HayFarmer; 06-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Default Pancake Weklding Hoods

Quote Originally Posted by HayFarmer View Post
    They look like a circular piece of sheet metal with an opening for a set of goggles to be inserted. Thats how it looked in the pics at any rate. I think they were held on the head by the goggle strap. Some also had one side of the circle bent at a right angle to the front (back toward the head). So, why the custom setup? Are they supposed to be cooler or ??? Seemed sort of strange and I wondered about the whys. Any of you pipe line types use this type of hood?
    They have a Balsa eyepiece (which you custom form to your forehead & nose) and completely "blacks-out" any background sun. The face of the hood is a pressure formed phenolic face place, and is formed either right or left to protect that side of your face. I added an elk skin liner to my eyepiece to make if more comfortable. They are extremely light weight, and a wide elastic strap keeps it on just right. The flip front model is slightly heavier, but with plastic lenses lessens any fatigue.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

I've been curious about them myself..I understand about the goggle design to prevent back flash. My question is the face plate shape..Is there a reason for it being round or is that just the way it is?

Are they durable? Balsa seems a poor fit for the usually rough environment welding occurs in.

Default "Round?"

Quote Originally Posted by chrisa7164 View Post
    I've been curious about them myself..I understand about the goggle design to prevent back flash. My question is the face plate shape..Is there a reason for it being round or is that just the way it is?
    Well, most of us have round faces and heads

I did send away for some square welding caps, they're out of stock

Dave

Default "Balsa Salsa"

Quote Originally Posted by HayFarmer View Post
    Are they durable? Balsa seems a poor fit for the usually rough environment welding occurs in.
    Actually, the balsa pieces are a good 1/2" thick, and quite durable.

Dave

good one..I know a couple guys who could use a square welding cap...I have several fiber metal and an old huntsman helmet..none of them are circular? granted some have a "rounded" shell,but none are a perfect circle like the pancake hood.

Default "Pancakes & Syrup"

Distinctive trademark design. Some guys wear Nomex hoods underneath, others "doo-rags."

On small pipe, some just wear the goggles (they make Balsa Goggles too).

They do, however, keep out the sun!

Dave