Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default CWB's new fees are Outrageous

In BC its now $530 for all position SMAW.

Wow!, just as the economy tanks and people are without work, the CWB kicks them when their down. The worse thing is that employers want you to have this ticket (you pay) then they lowball you on the rate.

Unhappy C.W.B. Fees !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Home Sweet 7018 View Post

Wow!, just as the economy tanks and people are without work, the CWB kicks them when their down. The worse thing is that employers want you to have this ticket (you pay) then they lowball you on the rate.
    Hello;
    In Ontario to Certify my Shop ( I'm a one man Shop ) is ---
    -- $2940.00 Then every other Year It's $ 1,480.50 to keep Certified Tax included, Wow yahooo !!

........... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Do the words:CASH GRAB remind you of anything?
    Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Thumbs down C.W.B. Fees !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
    Do the words:CASH GRAB remind you of anything?
    Frank
    Frank, Yea that's $1,480.50 Per Weldor every other year !!

I'm the only Weldor, Still $1,480.50 is a LOT DOUGH ( TOO MUCH for ME )

CRAZY I SAY CRAZY !!!

............. Norm
    PS.-- I had to turn down a Structural Job ( or they turned me down ? ) because I didn't have a C.W.B. Ticket ( Cert. for our U.S. Members ) To-day ! That's four I lost in Three Plus Years, OH WELL SH*T HAPPENS !!
    Last edited by nfinch86; 06-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

Nfinch,

How does it work there,
    In order to have a welding shop do you have to have a weld certification so your shop is certified.

Here in Michigan we dont have to have any weld certifications to have a welding business or to get insurance.

In Michigan there are licenses for Mechanics, electricians, builders, plumbers, heating and cooling, well drillers, septic field installers and maybe a few more that I couldnt think of.

To be a welder however you dont need anything. Yes your supposed to be certified if your doing structural or pipe but its rare that any one ever asks.

Any Tom, ****, or Harry can put a welding sighn in the window and hes a welding shop or Portable welder.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Nfinch,

How does it work there,
    In order to have a welding shop do you have to have a weld certification so your shop is certified.

Here in Michigan we dont have to have any weld certifications to have a welding business or to get insurance.

In Michigan there are licenses for Mechanics, electricians, builders, plumbers, heating and cooling, well drillers, septic field installers and maybe a few more that I couldnt think of.

To be a welder however you dont need anything. Yes your supposed to be certified if your doing structural or pipe but its rare that any one ever asks.

Any Tom, ****, or Harry can put a welding sighn in the window and hes a welding shop or Portable welder.
    Yea, It's the Same here, To do any IronWorking- Welding You Need to be C.W.B. Certified . Structural IronWorker-Weldors HAVE To Be Certified !!

Most of My work is Custom Fab Jobs or Farm Repairs ( I'm in Farm Country )
    No Cert. Needed !!
    For More Years than I Care to remember I was a Licenced Weldor and a Journeyman IronWorker local 736 Hamilton, Ontario.

.............. Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

Smile

hi guys
    Norm get off your wallet and come play in the big boys game and pay that 7 time . just kinding norm. But as you know i have to pay that ever year just to make the big buck na na na . I think if i dont hear from bot buy the end of julyi am go to kill sum ome so that i can get free room and borad for the winter because i am get sick and tire of hearing the same old thing from people y that cant pay for work to be done . My bills dont stop coming in the mail. but i hope you are keeping good down the big money area lol your pal ocweld

Talking Big Bucks ??

[QUOTE=ocweld;194012]hi guys
    Norm get off your wallet and come play in the big boys game and pay that 7 time . just kinding norm. But as you know i have to pay that ever year just to make the big buck na na na . I think if i dont hear from bot buy the end of julyi am go to kill sum ome so that i can get free room and borad for the winter because i am get sick and tire of hearing the same old thing from people y that cant pay for work to be done . My bills dont stop coming in the mail. but i hope you are keeping good down the big money area lol your pal ocweld:

Corey My Friend; how are you doin', busy I hope !

Things have Really Picked up here in the Former Tobacco Capital of Canada!
    ya business has picked up greatly lately, Thank Goodness or you know where I'd Be, down the River and No Paddle in Sight !!
    I Havn't heard anything from Bot Const. Either ? I'm All Ears !!

Bills I don't know what you mean by Bills( We Don't have Bills do We ?? )

Hope All Is Well With You and Yours !!

Your Friend, ............. Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

Quote Originally Posted by Home Sweet 7018 View Post

I have had a CWB ticket for over 5 years here in Alberta! I have payed very close to $500 bucks the whole time! I know guys that have shops here in Alberta and to be a certified shop they pay over $12,000 to be called a CWB shop! The best thing that could happen to us, is to do away with CWB all together!! The only people that should be able to have a CWB ticket are welders who have welding tickets!!!!!!!!! ohh I forgot I saw a guy driving chevy Canyon for a welding truck the other day, that is what the CWB has done to the welding trade here in Alberta and to think I need to go to school and weld test every job I go to so i dont kill anyone, but if I have a CWB ticket I can go weld on any high rise in Calgary/Alberta/Canada and never step foot in a welding class room!! Iam sure this will rub the CWB welders the wrong way but you know what I dont give a $hit anymore its the truth!!
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Nfinch,

How does it work there,

< snip >

Portable,

To be 100% correct, it depends on the province or territory that you are in.

Unfortunately, the Provincial Governments have been able to decide which trades they wish to make Compulsory, and which trades they wish to make Elective. This has already been covered many times in the past on this forum, and it is a source of GREAT Confusion by most (or all) of us up here.

I for one, have made several ignorant and mis-informed statements on this topic in the past, and have since spent a large amount of time researching this topic and educating myself so that I had the correct information. What that research has led me to find is both disturbing and disappointing.

What I can say with complete certainty, is that here in Alberta, both Welding and Mechanics (Automotive and Heavy Duty) are Compulsory Trades, and that in order to be gainfully employed in those trades, the individual has to be indentured in the Apprenticeship System as either an Apprentice or a Journeyman.

I hold Journeyman Certificates (With Interprovincial Standards Red Seal endorsements) in both Auto Mechanics and Welding, so I am legally able to operate a business as either here in Alberta.

Sorry if this is not the definitive answer that you were looking for, I am just trying to be accurate.

Have a Good Night.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.