Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Airlines

Default Shop Airlines

I'm putting 3/4 Black Iron pipe in my garage for airlines.

I understand I need to put some unions in, for future work and repairs.
    Can someone tell me where they should go (notice I didn't ask where I should put them)?

What should I use for strut hangers (super-strut etc.) to hang on my top plates, studs and ceiling joists? Clamps, too.

I have to go along the top of the wall, then across under the joists to the other side.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ligito; 06-08-2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Cool

I would use at least one for sure marked by your compressor and two would be better.
    You can use all thread and some angle iron for the hangers laid across the joists. Be sure to use double nuts or lock nuts...Bob
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 06-08-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    I'm putting 3/4 Black Iron pipe in my garage for airlines.

I understand I need to put some unions in, for future work and repairs.
    Can someone tell me where they should go (notice I didn't ask where I should put them)?

What should I use for strut hangers (super-strut etc.) to hang on my top plates, studs and ceiling joists? Clamps, too.

I have to go along the top of the wall, then across under the joists to the other side.

[IMG][/IMG]
    A safe answer is at least one union everytime you change direction. You do not want to have to break out two or more different runs to make a repair or add a drop.

Griff

One. Where the main line leaves the tank. The rest of the lines will require no unions as it will outlast the compressor unit.

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    A safe answer is at least one union everytime you change direction. You do not want to have to break out two or more different runs to make a repair or add a drop.

Griff
    Don't for get to put drip legs on the bottom of every drop and install a valve on each drip leg to blow out any water... Bob

it would be a good idea to have a valve at each branch for isolation. This will allow you to keep your air system in service while doing repairs to certain branches. I know that this will add cost to the project but this is how we do this kind of thing in the oil field. On the safety side of things make double sure that you install hardware with presure ratings greater than what the compressor can put out. Although it does not contain a hazardous material components failing at low pressures (< 500 psi) can cause major damage.
    Garrett R. Durio
    Millermatic 180
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    B&D 7" grinder
    Skill 4 1/2" Grinder
    www.myspace.com/garrettdurio

A nice pdf file below from TP Blasting's site:

http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/ai...ng-diagram.pdf

Below links are to two products that make installing ceiling pipe runs much easier...along with some all thread. The conduit hanger is a bit small as it is sized for tubing instead of pipe, but it will work well with a longer bolt and it's cheap...check your big box store's electrical aisle. The double end hanger bolt is very easy to install with a pilot hole and a screw gun/drill. Vary the length of your all thread and you can easily allow for a slope for moisture to drain down the length of the run.
    Last edited by WyoRoy; 06-09-2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

i have seen some people use a large diameter vertical pipe right off of the compressor to help trap moisture and provide some cooling capacity. make sure it gets a drain!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

WyoRoy-

I bought some of the clamps that you showed.
    Do I have to bolt them in, or will they stay in the strut by themselves?

I went to WhiteCapPro Supply to buy 10 but they were so cheap that I got 20.

If I omit the West and South pipe run(those that don't have lengths noted), it will save some work, money and grief, is that a bad thing?

I cut my Superstrut into lengths that allow me to have a clamp in the center and I can use screws and washers in the other 2 holes, for hanging on the joists.
    I'm using the other style clamp (the type that hooks into the strut), to mount on the walls, or top plate
    Last edited by ligito; 06-09-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Default Always allow yourself room to grow.

ligito,

Here is some rules I used on my air manifold.

I used 1" for the main lines and 1/2" for the short feeders (But I have a 20HP 3 Phase compressor with a 1" Big Joe regulator set at 100psi plumbed in with a bypass valve for those uncooperative bolts )

The larger your pipe the more air you have in reserve (I estimate I have 25 - 30 gal capacity in my line w / 10 hose reels and 90+ air chucks)

Bolt the a/c to the floor with anchor bolts. Tie the a/c into the manifold with the woven SS / Teflon lined hose as it cuts down on rattles. Install a tank valve and shut it at night

The first pipe make as vertical / tall as possible and like posted earlier allow for a drain. most of your moisture will drop out here and at the tank (I use an automatic tank drain)

Use a tee or a cross anyplace you think you might want to run a spur line (it is a lot easier to pull the plug than unscrew pipe).Use lot's of unions as posted (it sucks having to undo a run to fix a leak

Always allow a low spot on each wall to drain water. Allow for air hose reels ect down the road..

Have fun with the project
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!