Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: rig truck help

got the bed completely tore off about three days ago, and went and picked up steel to make another flatbed frame for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

i used this stuff called metalize. its a rust converter and changes rust into a primered surface that can be painted. i used it on steel structures around swimming pools before. neat stuff. i laid out the frame for the flatbed last night and welded it together. i used 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square tube 3/16 wall for the frame runners that follow the truck frame. the rest is 1 1/2 square tubing 11 guage, except for the sides. there, i used 2x2 1/4 angle. i did that so that i can use tie downs and straps easily. the last one is hard to see. it was late. i used .080 aluminum plate to mount the lights.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

this morning , i picked up some lumber and carriage bolts. they are 2x6. the bolts i used are 4 inch 316 stainless at 5/16 diameter.

I HATE DRILLING HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.........100 bolts to be exact.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

i built a headache rack for it today and pulled new wires for the brake lights. i will post pics of the rack later.

does anyone know anything about quadrajunks? the truck has a bad stutter when under full throttle. any other throttle position, it does real well. i dont know enough about them to try and adjust it, also the secondaries arent opening (probably the stutter) and i cant figure out how to get them freed up. they will open by hand but not by throttle linkage
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

If you have a Rochester Quadra Jet w/ vacuum secondaries, it NOT going to open with the throttle linkage. If it stumbles or bogs as soon as you floor it, your accelerator pump may not be functioning properly. It may have nothing to do with the secondaries, but a momentary lean condition until the main fuel bleed circuit catches up. Time to pull the top off, clean it up & maybe throw in a rebuild kit while you're at it.

Sorry to suggest more work.

Later,

work is something that i am not afraid of, especially more of it. i have never been into a rochester, black wolf, may i pm you if i have more ?'s about it
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

here are pics of the headache rack
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

looks more like a backack rack to me. you head is still above it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

By all means PM away. No need to ask but the gesture of respect is appreciated. Always glad to help out.

Later,
    Jason

Default Carb advice

The best advice I could give you on the Quadrajet is take it off and put yourself on a Holley 4412 and an adapter plate. Qj's are good if you get them dialed in right but a real nightmare if you don't know much about them. The Holley 4412 on the other hand is a great 500 c.f.m. 2bbl. carburetor, it'll save you some money on gas and is very simple to repair if needed. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en