Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: rig truck help

Well for any iron over 7500lbs Diesel would be the choice without question. There is NO gasser that will hold up for the long haul. Being a 1 ton ford pickup is already tipping 8000 LBS I would assume this rig will be well equiped as well. The older common rail cummins is much easier as far as electronics goes. Less computer and more mechanical means of adjustment. How they mate a Ally with the Cummins is by a custom plate. I would think the hardest fitment will be the Front and mid motor plates and having room for them. Since its an older piece of iron it sholdn't be a problem. I guess when I was reffering to the common rail it was also the mechanical injection models of the cummins. Its what all the serious fabricators and racers are using. Easy to find , cheap price, and lots of info and parts available cheap. Plus there is NO worries about whether it will last. The cummins is what most UPS trucks use, just a 4 cyl version, alot of pop and beer trucks run the cummins too. Its by far the most proven motor and most widely used with the most applications. Since the intro of the cummin 6BT5.9 in 1978 Ford and GM have gone thru 9 + full size diesel powerplants, this doesn't include the Dmax nor any of their OTR diesel power plants for the bigger trucks. And still today none have produced a package that has even come close to the power and reliability of the single Cummins design. Now the Dmax is a great engine and will be slightly easier to marry together electronically, but if your not dead set on the Dmax ,research the 2 more. In fact theres articles of the Cummins in a 66 ford bronco. A Dmax in a 1970 C-10 pick up, and a powerjoke in a jeep wrangler. What ever you do, do as much research as you can. Because I can gurantee you'll be doing plenty during the build. You WILL become one heck of a fabricator and engineer by the time your done, but thats nothing compared to the pride you'll have of owning a piece of Iron like that.

http://www.classiccoe.com/oldcoetrucks/4754.htm

this is a link to what a coe truck is. they usually were rated at about 25,000 lbs. most called them a duece. it is a big, old piece of iron, therefore a diesel. i would really like to have a stick shift anyway, maybe an eaton-fuller 10spd. the cummins motors do have a long life and easy to build/work on, just not a big fan. was thinking more along the lines of a 3306 cat or the likes in john deere's version.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Everbody has an opinion about engines, same as Ford and Chevy battle. I see that its a med duty truck and I would agree with diesel too. However, I dont agree that anything over 3/4 ton needs to be diesel. I think it depends on the use. We have lots of C and K3500s with gas engines and service bodys with over 200K on them. But for what your looking at I think diesel too. Some guys are just set on diesels in pickups and Im not. As I said I work on them all the time and maintence cost is huge on diesel. But fuel mileage is better. You can buy a long block gas engine for the cost of a set of injectors nowadays. Again If i was fixing up the truck you are I would find an old cummins like Plummer said or Cat

I figured thats what you meant plummer about the "mechanical" fuel system and not just a common fuel rail

Good luck

Just my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by HMW; 09-09-2007 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Was thinking about your project some more and forgot about the older Dt466s as well. They were pretty reliable and like the cummins they made lots of them.

Maybe I missed it in your post, are you going to use it for work or just cool project? Also after looking at the website, I dont think you need as big a diesel or trans, like a 10 speed as you think. As you see they came with straight 6s gas engines and a 4 speed trans. Can't rememebr ever seeing one of them, pretty cool. You can find lots of old farm trucks with gas [some diesel] and a 5 speed trans that would work great for cheap.

AS far as the cummins being way better than the rest, The 6Bt has been around along time and seems to have a good track record. I have 2 friends who have them and love them. The only thing I dont understand is if they are way better than the others why does Ford sell more Powerstrokes than anybody?? [I work on the Fords, and am not fond of the 6.0, the old 7.3 was great] I also work on the duramaxs and so far only a few small injector problems. I wonder if its because the cummins is in the Dodge chassis and Ford is more popular as far as pickups go. Not sure why more fleets buy Ford than anything else.
    Anyway good luck, hope you get it, it would be a cool project
    Last edited by HMW; 09-09-2007 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott

that link has some great trucks on it. i would love to get ahold of one of them old book mobiles.
    my 3/4 ton 51GMC was gas but it had a trany on it that would let the cylinder 260 (i think) pull over a house. it also had a port for a 2nd drive shaft for powering a lift or some thing ?? was a great work truck. i replaced it with a 235 and it still had lots of pull and power.
    man i realy gota get onto getting her back into shape.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up

Yeha fun4now, they were awesome. Like your old truck they were geared low and had alot of power. Thats why i asked him if he was going to use it for work or play. Cause the old drivetrain had terriable mileage. But just for play an old 6 cyl gas engine and 5 speed, what a toy. And not for much money. But of course if he has the money, the time and the know how it would be cool with a modern diesel. I just try to look at things realistic when i build something. I would like to see one up close. I love old trucks
    Scott

i'm planing on a nice some what newer 235 maybe some thing in the 70's to get better millage but still without all the comp. stuff. but mine will never be a work truck again, even so the lil 235's were good strong lil gassers.
    a diesel would be nice if i could get a small older one. i could make it a vegy mobile with bio-fuel. again not practical for work but nice as a play thing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

well, last week, i was driving by this man's place to give a bid on a guard for an a/c unit. there have been alot of heat pumps getting stolen lately around here. i saw an old flatbed pick-up and went in for a closer look. it is a 1978 3/4 ton gmc 4wd flatbed truck. it had been sitting up out in the woods behind his house for a little bit, so i asked about it. he had bought it to haul firewood and after he bought his duramax truck, it got parked. 4 speed with granny and a 350 4 barrel carb. the truck is black. i asked him if he would be interested in selling, and he said "i'll give ya 20 bucks to haul the dang thing off" i told him i would haul it off for free, though. he didnt like my price to build a burglar proof cage but told me to come and get the truck. he said that it had been set up for about 4-5 years. i went out today and carried a battery, and a gas can with me. after about 1-2 minutes of cranking, it fired off. i let the smoke clear and drove it out. i let it get good and hot, checked it over, aired the tires and drove it home(about an hours drive). the flat bed is wooden and completely rotted out, so an aluminum flatbed is in store. i think that i will break my fingers on this one making it look new and turning it into a rig truck. it was waaaaay cheaper than the other ones i have been looking at...lol. i will post pics tomorrow after i go to the store and get some more batteries for the camera.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

can't wait to see your new truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never hurts to ask!!! All they can do is say no!!
    congrats,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Thumbs up Sweeeet

thats great man. & about the same way i got my 51 3/4t GMC. a lil sand paper, a business card, a cup of gas down the carb and drove it home.
    only my ride turned into a smoke bomb when the plastic line to the oil pres. gage broke mid-drive and sprayed oil all over the hot block. a quick stop in at auto zone and i was back on the road. i did have to shell out $300.oo but he threw in a spare truck (53 3/4t GMC no motor) and he delivered it on a flatbed the next day.
    cant wait to see the pic's
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES