Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tig Wire Feed

Default Tig Wire Feed

Hi
    Years ago a friend of mine that worked at a fab shop bought a attachment for their Tig, it was a push pull wire feed that would feed wire up to the tig torch, no more feeding in the rod, it had a button you pushed with your finger on the torch and used a foot petal, it worked really well, I think it was made by Miller does anybody have any info on this setup?

Thanks in advance..

Default Wire feeder for tig

Yes Rustyp,
    CK Worldwide has such a system.There is a wire feed machine that looks like a small mig and there is an extra leed that run along the tig's leed.At the torch there is a tube that aims the wire into the weld pool.You can check it out on their web site:www.ckworldwide.com
    Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

but thats cheating?

cyberweld has a tigpen http://store.cyberweld.com/tigpen.html

Quote Originally Posted by andyman View Post
    but thats cheating?

cyberweld has a tigpen http://store.cyberweld.com/tigpen.html
    If you're not cheating, You're not trying

I've seen automated pipe welding machines that use the same set up. A mounted tig torch a wire feeder and a work positioner
    Last edited by kcstott; 06-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

but what to do with my left hand if i never have to feed wire?

i guess i wouldn't need it so i could just sell my left arm to buy the wire feeder =D

Default I wondered about that..

Has anyone used one of these systems? Looks like it could work very nicely, I actually wondered if you could use normal welding wire as filler material to tig weld.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Has anyone used one of these systems? Looks like it could work very nicely, I actually wondered if you could use normal welding wire as filler material to tig weld.
    Kevin
    You could,i've used mig wire to tig weld;same thing.If you want to go half way,use a larger diameter mig wire with the tig pen.It works well but you need to devise yourself a way to keep the wire from springing out of the spool,Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

If you need all that crap, I'd suggest you just buy a MIG welder.

The machine I seen was a nice set up something like a $10K power supply then add the wire feeder and pipe roller it was an expensive setup.
    It is used by Aqua-Fine corp in Santa Clarita just north of LA. They are not to be confused with the bottled water company. They make water purification systems for remote locations or on board ships.
    The power supply also controlled the arc gap and was set to hold the tungsten .020" from the puddle. It used a laser to gauge the distance and it was cnc controlled to feed the wire and roll the pipe. It even made it's own tie ins.

Nassco runs Semi auto sub arc machines that feed 1/4" wire to weld up bulkheads, fun stuff to watch
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

kcstott:

More than likely it used a laser for the seam tracking operation and the arc gap was set with an AVC control. It doesnt work off of actual distance, but it measures the arc voltage and adjusts the gap through the change in arc voltage as compared to a preset value. Usually its between 9 volts without filler and 11 volts with.

CK does make a cheap cold wirefeeder, but the problem is that it does not have any provision for a synchronous wire drive to match your welders pulsation. Other systems do offer a low pulse lock out option for the wirefeeder, along with the AVC command.

If you intend to use a cold wire feeder manually, I would recommend a hand held wire delivery device. The torch mounted wire guides are ok for positioner work, but are more dificult to use of any other kind of work. Remember, your wire lead angle will dictate your welding direction.