Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fire extinguser tank

does anyone know where I can get a tank from a fire extinguisher?
    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    You looking for an empty one that you could get re-charged and use?

They need to be checked perodically and tested, so if you are seeking one for this purpose, you need to know the last test/fill date.

They're not that expensive, Home Depot sells Industrial Grade sizes, oh, maybe $40-$60.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 06-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Cool

Maybe a fire ext company that recharges them. I see them around my local shop...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I got some out of date bottles from my last job, and turned them into air manifolds. Turned out really nice. I got two empties, but you live in ohio, and shipping would be killer on something like that.
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    Are you talking about the stainless pressurized H2O ones.
    CO2 type heavy walled steel
    Thin dry chemical steel ones
    Dry chemical aluminum ones
    Or the old style copper brass soda acid ones.
    and then of course the size.

As been said, the companies that recharge them might have have some failed ones but they will not sell or give you the complete set up due to liability.
    I have bought some at the local flea market and garage sales.

I will say this as to discharging them Dry chemical of any flavor. Check to see if they have an air valve on the back of the neck remove all the pressure and at zero then remove the internals of the air valve.

Just shooting it say into a dumpster will leave you a very big mess. Not to mention the powders used can be irritating to the lungs.

This is on a H2O pressure tank, the dry chemical pressure one's have the same basic set up.

There are also throw-a-ways once use types that don't have a air valve.

glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

all I want is the tank, no valves, no extingushing agent. I would like it to be able to hold at least 200psi

Default For making gongs......

I used to get some from a local place that services extinguishers. He would give me old ones that were taken out of service. I'm talking about the old steel ones that were made in the 40s and 50s. I've also picked a couple of them up at estate (garage) sales for cheap. One thing you need to keep in mind is that the thread in the tank is NOT standard pipe thread. A pipe fitting will go in a couple of turns, but it will not seal air tight. For gongs it doesn't matter, but it would if you plan to pressurize the tank. I suppose a standard pipe fitting could be welded inside the threads.
    Jim

Yeah, the threads are definately a problem, but I hacked it off, and welded a coupler on it, that was a regular NPT fitting, and then screwed in a pressure relief set at 90 psi, so that it wouldnt become a bomb. I used this out at the shipyards, and they worked perfect.

You still havent told us what your using them for, so spill it!
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

well I am currently making a flamethrower. PVC tanks, old air hose for fuel deliverey and a pvc gun with a metal nozzel and a propane torch for a piolit light. I got thinking about the next one, if this one works there will be more. And i first thought of making a tank but then I thought a fire extinguisher tank would work better.

What are you going to be using for the gas? I made one that hooks up to a standard propane bottle that will shoot a flame 40 feet! Only problem I have is that shooting propane in liquid form has a bad habit of freezing up my lines.