Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Repairing Antique Cast Iron Oven Door

Attached are some pictures of the cast iron oven door that I welded over Memorial Day weekend for a bicycling friend of mine. The process I used was modified from the process on the Lock and Stitch web site:

http://www.locknstitch.com/castironwelding.htm

-Disassembled the door.
    (Had fun removing screws that had gone through thermal cycling for 85 years.)
    -Preheated the door and some large 1 thick blocks of steel in my oven @550F
    (The door was only 1/8 thick so the heavy blocks helped to stabilize the temperature.
    -My assistant brought it up to and maintained it at 660F with an oxy/acetylene torch with a large rosebud tip, while I TIG welded it with a 99% Ni rod.
    (I would have liked to hold it at 1000F but I found that the porcelain enamel got discolored above this temp.)
    -After welding we put a second preheated block of steel inside the door and covered it with refractive blankets to let it cool down slowly.
    - After it cooled down overnight the oven door was re-assembled.

I also included a link to some history regarding the Detroit Stove Works. This type of stove was built between 1918 and 1930 in Detroit. The Detroit Stove Works was the largest employer in Detroit and could make ~ 87 stoves of this type per day. I noticed an ancient 85 year old repair weld of the inner casting that was on the side you couldnt see after the door was assembled. My bicycling friend has had it in her kitchen for the past 40 years. It is designed to work with either coal or gas. My friend still uses the gas cook top every day.

http://www.myantiquestove.com/histor...-works-largest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Smile Great friends Makes for Cast Welding

Hey there Don. I think you did a great job. And you took every precaution that was needed to weld cast. I hope you friend knows that your a great one for doing this for him..Take Care...Bob