Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default CNC plasma cutting table question

Ive been trying to find info on CNC. Ive googled it and came up with little to nothing useful. Where can I find out info on CNC? Like basic components and how to wire it and how to select the right size of motors and such? I am wanting to build a CNC plasma cutting table. Any suggestions? Thanks

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.
    TD Cutmaster 52.
    Hobart Stickmate.
    Miller 211 w/ Spoolgun.
    Lincoln SA 200.

torchmate .com

Here are a few I hear guys talk about

Tracker
    Quickie
    PlasmaCam
    Torch Mate
    Bugo

There is also a forum called CNC zone at www.cnczone.com. You may be able to find some info there.

Hope this helps,
    Brian Brown
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Steve,

I have built a few CNC routers from scrap, and e-bay parts. I also plan to build a plasma table in the near future. If you do not need a production machine, and have some basic metal fab tools it is not hard at all to build. Plasma is one of the easiest CNC variations because it has very little load compared to a rotary type cutter, and with a kerf less precise than say an endmill the tolerances are also less exacting. If you want to build your own, I can dig up a bunch of old links I saved to figure it out for myself. There are also reasonably priced height controls to get the best cut/consumable life. If you want to buy a turn key system the ones listed above are a good place to start.

Chris

I just looked in my favorites file, and I erased all my old CNC stuff, but start by looking at these companies. There are many others, but this is what I have used with great results so far.

Motors - Kelinginc.com, They also sell power supplies
    Motor drivers - Geckodrive.com, the 203v is a good drive if using steppers
    Interfaces - CNC4PC.com
    Software - Machsupport.com & SheetCAM.com
    Torch Height Control - CandCNC.com

These sites, and cnczone.com will get you going, and I can try to help out as well.

Here is a photo of my small router
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...z/P1011178.jpg

There is lots of info on CNC here http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...=0;DaysPrune=0 .
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.