Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

PS
    Mr Windson

The fact that you seem to know that a 40 degree evaporator coil would be frozen solid makes me think you are a little smarter than some of us might have thought you were in the beginning. That is if the gas was r-22
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Don't get me wrong, you're a great poster and I generally agree with most of what you say. This post, however, went off the deep end.

What you told this kid was like giving a kid a pair of roller skates and telling him to go play in traffic. Bypassing the thermal shutdown does not increase the duty cycle, it simply gives him a means of "easily" frying the welder.

I started to suspect a degree of BS when I read the "recommended torque" on the bolts holding a heat sink. !/2 turn less than where the bolt or heat sink shears? Do you go ahead a shear off the bolt, somehow back out the threads 1/2 turn, and then weld the sheared off bolt back to the remaining threads.

This was definitely not typical of your normal posts. This kid is an accident looking for a place to happen. I'm not going to give him a roadmap.

Just my .02

Point taken. It is just that I don't think we are messing with a kid here. I think it is someone older messing with us. If I am wrong about Windsom then I apologize, but I think he is determined to screw that welder up anyway if he is a kid. But I think he is sitting back laughing at us right now. Have you noticed he hasn't mentioned his age, where he lives, why he is wanting to modify his welder. And have you noticed his english seems to be getting worse not better.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Default Yup! it's starting to stink a little

I too have been smelling a dead rat on this one as he has been posting on all of the other sites that I frequent. Appears to be playing dumb, but yet knows the big words. I may be wrong but I think someone we all know may be conducting another experiment. Just my .02, and I've been wrong before, so who knows. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Now, if you want to increase capacity I can tell you how to do it very cheaply, but it will only work one time. If you look at the primary of the transformer you will see the tap switch. Just above the tap switch is the high limit temperature switch. When you find the tap switch just follow the wire and you will come to the high limit switch. It will be mounted on the transformer surface so it can sense the temperature of the transformer. Now, this switch is what we call in the electrical field Normally closed (N.C.). The way it works is it is normally closed until a certain temperature is reached and then its contacts will open taking power off the transformer. The welder fan will continue to run, and when enough heat has been taken away, the contacts will close again and you can strike up another arc. It does this automatically so you don't have to manually reset anything.

Now the cheap way to increase the duty cycle, and remember I said it will only work one time, is to jump out the high limit temperature switch. Now I can't tell you how long the duty cycle will last but I can assure you it will last until the transformer starts smoking and finally gives up and dies. And boy will it stink. An experienced electrician can many times tell you what has burned up just from the smell, and a transformer is easy to identify.

i cant try this way,
    if just remove the thermostat, and welds until the transformer become burn, the objectiveof this project to improve duty cycle of the machine is become meaningless.

dabar39 Yup! it's starting to stink a little

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I too have been smelling a dead rat on this one as he has been posting on all of the other sites that I frequent. Appears to be playing dumb, but yet knows the big words. I may be wrong but I think someone we all know may be conducting another experiment. Just my .02, and I've been wrong before, so who knows. Dave

i think you have it in a nut shell.
    no way you could have a project to increase the duty cycle of a welder and not know what a heat sink is???? and its a small step from a heat sink to a water cooled one. wile i have no problem explaining how to make a water cooled heat sink i too suspect its all just a game to see how long we will tolerate it ??

i did however like the tighten until 1/2 a turn before snapping off the bolt. wile it sounds silly i'm shore his intention was to make the point get it as tight as possible without breaking anything.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

"the objectiveof this project to improve duty cycle of the machine is become meaningless."

Boy, you got that right. As was I think this entire thread.

i did however like the tighten until 1/2 a turn before snapping off the bolt. wile it sounds silly i'm shore his intention was to make the point get it as tight as possible without breaking anything.

You are right James, this entire post of mine was sort of tungue in cheek. I had decided before I posted it that Windson was just having a little fun with us. I think he really had a couple of us going there for awhile.

it is really a project, not just a fun..