Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

torch? i meant good working foot/finger control.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Releco relays and others have a test button that manually closes 2 poles in the relay. Is this a switch?
    No, it is a relay

A micro switch is never referred to as a relay nor is a torch trigger over here.

So a voltage switch is referred to as a relay by you guys over there?
    Last edited by Jake SS; 06-06-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake SS View Post
    No, it is a relay

A micro switch is never referred to as a relay nor is a torch trigger over here.

Not really. A relay is sometimes referred to as a "electro-mechanical switch" but I've never heard of a switch being referred to as a relay and I've been design and building control systems and automation equipment for about 37 years, not that I couldn't have missed something.

It is a micro switch and not a relay. A switch needs physical force to activate it. A relay has contacts like a switch but also a actuator such as an electrical solenoid to activate the switch and can be controlled remotely.
    Now put a solenoid on your switch and you have a relay.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

No, it is a relay

Nope the electrical portion of the Releco is a relay, the mechanical test push button is a switch.

Same as a positioner table hitting an magnetic switch and reversing itself, no physical force really, just a polarity pickup, or even an electric eye picks up a discrepancy in its field of vision, or encoders that is also a switch for wave form production.
    An IGBT is a ultra fast switch, as are transistors, mosfets, scrs and such, all electrical switches.

Its all the way you look at the problem to get the job done.
    Last edited by cruizer; 06-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Question Location ???

No, it is a relay

Jake, Where are you from, You Do Not Say where you are Located ?

.............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Nope the electrical portion of the Releco is a relay, the mechanical test push button is a switch.

Same as a positioner table hitting an magnetic switch and reversing itself, no physical force really, just a polarity pickup, or even an electric eye picks up a discrepancy in its field of vision, or encoders that is also a switch for wave form production.
    An IGBT is a ultra fast switch, as are transistors, mosfets, scrs and such, all electrical switches.

Its all the way you look at the problem to get the job done.
    Nope it is a relay, that is it's main function. Some relays have a mechanical actuator, "flag", led's whatever but for all intents and purposes they are still a relay with a coil and some contacts.

IGBT's, fet's, micro's are indeed switches, they are not relays

My main point is why do you guys refer to a micro switch or a trigger switch as relays?? This is the third time I have asked the question and all I get is a question in response to a question.

Just curious as to why?

Quote Originally Posted by GerryR View Post
    Not really. A relay is sometimes referred to as a "electro-mechanical switch" but I've never heard of a switch being referred to as a relay and I've been design and building control systems and automation equipment for about 37 years, not that I couldn't have missed something.
    Did you read my posts thats what I am asking, why would someone call a switch a relay ?

Did you read my posts thats what I am asking, why would someone call a switch a relay ?
    Because they don't know any better??

I come from an aircraft background, circuit diagrams don't differentiate between a micro switch and a electromecanical relay. I know what thay are on a circuit diagram and that is all that matters. We were only talking about a foot pedal, where the OP was calling this device a limit switch.

I called it a relay as 2 pins in the pedal close to tell the machine to start up.
    For me its symantics, I was trying to make it simple for the guy to understand

Yes this is a mico switch even made by Mico switch