Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Jake SS,

I just signed up to answer your question regarding what we call relays and switches in Canada. Let me assure you we most definitely know the difference between the two.
    You can be certain that those individuals working on Canadian aircraft are very much Professional, and able to discriminate between the two on schematics, and in disscusions amongst themselves.
    You can fly with confidence

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    I come from an aircraft background, circuit diagrams don't differentiate between a micro switch and a electromecanical relay. I know what thay are on a circuit diagram and that is all that matters. We were only talking about a foot pedal, where the OP was calling this device a limit switch.

I called it a relay as 2 pins in the pedal close to tell the machine to start up.
    For me its symantics, I was trying to make it simple for the guy to understand

Yes this is a mico switch even made by Mico switch
    OK so you guys call a switch a relay sometimes (in simple terms)
    I figured that was the case just had to confirm it, bit strange though.
    The OP I think was a bit confused when you actually referred to the switch as a relay.

circuit diagrams don't differentiate between a micro switch and a electromecanical relay.
    This worries me, do you have different symbols.
    Surely it would show a coil and contacts, or does it just show it as a set of switch contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by metalheater View Post
    Jake SS,

I just signed up to answer your question regarding what we call relays and switches in Canada. Let me assure you we most definitely know the difference between the two.
    You can be certain that those individuals working on Canadian aircraft are very much Professional, and able to discriminate between the two on schematics, and in disscusions amongst themselves.
    I was just interested to know why you refer to a simple switch as a relay, have never heard of that terminology before.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by metalheater View Post
    Jake SS,

Have been thinking about you joining up just to clarify that you guys know the difference between relays and switches.
    Were you just "passing by" and stumbled upon the posts?
    Whats the odds on that?

I prefer to fly QANTAS !

Cheers

Jake SS,
    Don't you think it's time to give this a rest? Everybody here knows the difference between a relay and a switch, even the guy who posted to clarify what was going on for someone else. So, let it drop. This is getting nauseating. Can't you find another subject to pounce on for awhile. Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by GerryR View Post
    Jake SS,
    Everybody here knows the difference between a relay and a switch, even the guy who posted to clarify what was going on for someone else.
    Right, he was just calling electrical components by names which they are not to "simplify" things for me.

Wheeww, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up. In the future it might be easier to call switches switches, and relays relays. My electronics and electrical technology courses would be pretty confusing if my prof started using terms interchangeably. It would most likely result in a lot of non working microprocessors and PLCs.

As far as my welder goes, thanks Bob, you were right. It was a short between two wires (we do call them wires here right? Not hoses or rope or something?).

I bought some five conductor cable and rewired the foot pedal, everything is fine now.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't check that more thoroughly before I posted but there was no visible damage to the cable and I freaked out and thought the worst. I guess that's why they say that the wires are the most overlooked electrical component.

As far as my welder goes, thanks Bob, you were right. It was a short between two wires (we do call them wires here right? Not hoses or rope or something?).

Maybe you have something. From now on wires will be electron hoses, resistors will be electron flow reducers, capacitors will be electron storage dumps..........See, something positive finally results from all this!

Maybe you have something. From now on wires will be electron hoses, resistors will be electron flow reducers, capacitors will be electron storage dumps..........See, something positive finally results from all this!
    Hahaha, and just when everyone thinks they have it all figured out....we'll change everything back!

Jake SS,
    Don't you think it's time to give this a rest? Everybody here knows the difference between a relay and a switch, even the guy who posted to clarify what was going on for someone else. So, let it drop. This is getting nauseating. Can't you find another subject to pounce on for awhile. Good grief!
    Whats your problem?
    The whole deal could have been over with post 4

I dont let things drop, until I have the information to satisfy my curiosity. Not in my nature.

The problem with the written word is that some people take things the wrong way, like you for instance, if this is "nauseating" to you then maybe you should join a knitting forum.

Judging by your post I dont think that you have understood the posts at all.
    There has not been any arguments just questions and answers, then you come up with a post to inflame the situation !

Good grief!

By Jake SS:
    "The problem with the written word is that some people take things the wrong way, like you for instance, if this is "nauseating" to you then maybe you should join a knitting forum."

I knew eventually we would get to the root of the problem; you're against knitting!