Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Son's Diversion

Default Son's Diversion

My son called me tonight to inform me that he purchased the diversion 165. His question to me was about using 2% thoriated tungsten and I do not know anything about this machine as it does not interest me in any way. I am sure he has not and will not read the manual with it so if any of you guys can give me any information about the tungsten it would be appreciated. I have'nt been interested in this type of machine as I own a couple of older millers that I am very satisfied with and the diversion would never suit my needs. I have been told that it is a very good machine for beginners like my son and for light work.

Thanks in advance,
    Wheelchair

Tell him to get ceriated or lanthanated unless he is only welding DC current.
    If he is gonna play with aluminum then thoriated is OK but there is better stuff

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Wheelchair,

Second FK's opinion.

Personally, I like the 2% Lantanated the best. Hard to find local. I get mine from Tungsten-Direct. Good prices and fast shipping.

If most of what he's doing is steel, then the thoriated will work fine and is easy to find. Really haven't used the thoriated on aluminum in an inverter. I know it tends to split with my Sync.

Just tell him to not even think about using pure in an inverter.

Haven't seen you on the boards much lately. Hope you're doing fine.

Thanks Sundown, I am doing very well and have been busy. I went down to Mississippi to visit my daughter (Her husband is a Navy Seabee) and went to visit my son also. I really appreciate your concern, I have been on the board browsing but thats about all. I hope you and your family are also doing well.

Thanks,
    Wheelchair

Thumbs up

Sundown, keep posting your opinions as I really enjoy your posts. I admire people that say whats on their mind and you certainly tell it like it is and thats a plus as I am also very opinionated and appreciate that trait in a person. I've had to eat crow a time or two but I would'nt have it any other way.

Keep up the good work,
    Wheelchair (Bill G. )

The Diversion comes from Miller with 2% Ceriated 3/32" tungsten.
    That's what I use and it seems fine for all the machine will do.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill