Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

vise: " a clamping apparatus of metal or wood, usually two jaws opened or closed by a screw............"

Wouldn't that, in some circumstance, still be a vice?
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Only for the more fortunate among us...

i found my vise at TSC at $120.00, so i can replace it if the repair goes south. now i just have to decide if i should spend the $30 to try the repair or just call it dead and put the $30 tword the new one ? unfortunately the smallest amount of NI 99 i can find is $30. this will leave me with about 1/2 unused and no need for the left overs.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i found my vise at TSC at $120.00, so i can replace it if the repair goes south. now i just have to decide if i should spend the $30 to try the repair or just call it dead and put the $30 tword the new one ? unfortunately the smallest amount of NI 99 i can find is $30. this will leave me with about 1/2 unused and no need for the left overs.
    I would do it for the experiance, thats just me, I like a challenge... After I repaired mine, I would not hesitate to do it again...
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

I had a similar vise and found a crack before it broke in half. I spent the $$$ on N-99 rod, veed the crack, preheated and peened, It still broke in half about a week later, not at the weld, but about 1/2 inch away. I was not abusing it just using it to hold pipe for cutting. Bought a Wilton and when it came the box said "Made in China to Wiltion Specifications" It is still "softer" than my old Athol that I bought for $75. All together a $100+ cost of Wilton "experience".

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post

I would either fix it (which IMO would actually make it righteous) or toss it in the trash and upgrade.
    I would never spend my hard earned money TWICE on something that wasn't worth fixing.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

i brazzed mine and its still holding 1 yr ago

Question

well i have a 1 1/8" thick table top, so i can do a lot of beating on stuff on the table instead of the vice. a little rethinking the use of it and i may be able to get away with a light fix like brazing it. i just don't have the $$ to spend on it right now. i do have the brazing stuff on hand, just concerned it may not hold well.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Brazing

Don't short change the strength of a good brazed joint, I have found that they hold up quite well, in fact better than I would have thought in these types of applications. I have seen many vises brazed and and still take the beating and squeezing abuse just as well after as they did before...But I think the guys that fixed those vises were typically in the front pew every Sunday. go ahead take a crack at it...if you melt it down, no harm you can always put two groves in it and post it on the projects board as an INDUSTRIAL ASH TRAY , and brazing rod is cheap.

k
    Kirk W.
    Weld Engineer
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

It looks to me like you could put a plate on each side and sandwich the part
    with bolts.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press