Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Some guys use lime, but cat litter is my insulator of choice.

Disassemble the viSe, prep the crack, preheat, weld the break, and then bury the entire casting in a box full of cheap cat litter while still hot. Cover box with a blanket and leave it alone overnight.

I've used this method with excellent success for slow cooling castings. Large castings are sometimes still hot the next morning when I dig them out.

Use the generic cheap cat litter, not the expensive clumping kind. The cheap stuff is usually just Bentonite clay granules without any special additives.

We're in a recession. Businesses are closing left and right. Surely you can find a screaming deal on a used vise nearby (Is GM closing a plant near you?). I could buy half a dozen more vises in an hour, cheap, if I needed them.

That said, like you, I probably would go for the challenge of trying to fix the old one, and spend way too much time, fuel-gases, and consumables in the process, and tell myself it was a good learning exercise (then never have any call to apply what I learned)

More seriously, the GM news this morning is an earth-shaker, but it offers certain kinds of opportunity. Reportedly, one of the provisions of the deal is that GM will get to "offshore" a bunch more work that is currently done here. A bunch of companies that build components for GM, besides getting stiffed for most of the money they were owed, are already losing orders from the other manufacturers due to low demand and over-supply. Many will surely fail to survive, and the trickle-down effect will be felt in most places. The only silver lining in this cloud is that anybody with cash is going to be able to make unheard-of deals on a range of equipment, maybe including stuff you always wanted but couldn't afford before.

I broke my large vice here a few weeks back trying to use it as a press for some custom motor mounts i made. All i did was give it a bath with soap and water, then used some carb cleaner to blast out any more residue the soap & water couldn't get. After the cleaning I did some test fitting, grooved the weld area out and then stuck it in the oven at 400* and left it there for a good while until my laser tempo gauge said the peice was up to temp.

After the preheating i took my thickest gloves, carried it to the wleding table, clamped it in place with large vice-grip style clamps and went at it with some Hi-99 nickel rod, tacking then alternating sides to keep distortion to a minimum. I also used the O/A torch between weld cycles to keep the entire piece evenly heated. After i was done i stuck it back in the oven (with the oven now "off" and let them both cool down together.

Of course i had to "test" the vice when i was done and it's holding up great!! HOwever mine broke in a different place than yours (the "back jaw" and anvil area snapped right off the swivel base)

I honestly didn't know what to do either when it happened, but i figured at elast trying to fix it would be better than just throwing it away and buying another, plus I got a little stick welding practice while I was at it.... on a weird way it was some what of a "2-for-1" deal, got some practice stick welding cast, and saved myself 50 bucks for a replacement vice!
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thumbs up

the GM problems is not going to help me way out here in BFE.

well i went and picked up some BBQ stuff to pre-heat and looked for some ni rod. holy c rap !!! $26 for 10 rods of 3/32", are you kidding me. ran out of $$ so the repair is on hold for now.

MR.57 thanks for the kitty liter, i forgot about that one. we have that here already.

well wile i await $ for the ni-99 i have 3 tree's i have to plan and i have to fix my push mower wheel adjuster. i broke the wheel adjuster 2 days ago. got the pieces off yesterday and welded them back together. so today I'll clean it up and reinstall it, then get the tree's in the ground.

after i get that done i need to finish up a few life leaves to send out to some tree sponsors. I'm a bit behind in that too.

thanks for the help guy's. i better get out and get some work done.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

This vice was always turning when I didn't want it to.
    MM140 at max power pre-heated with an actylene torch stopped the turning.

Of course, as it will likely be noted by some expersts, I "did it ALL WRONG" but it works and I beat the Cra p out of regularly and have for months.

Last edited by Johnny; 06-03-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

I would just buy new but if you dont want to do that just weld it with the stick.

James:

Why not braze it?? Its the recommended repair for cast iron. You have a torch and a pack of Braze, maybe some extra flux isn't all that expensive. You already have the litter too.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    What brand vice is it? If it's a good one like a Wilton it should have a lifetime warranty. If it's a "Made in China" big heavy beast from HF of HD invest in a new one. You won't be sorry. Nothing's worse than a crappy vice or better than a quality one.
    I hate to get OT but I want everyone to know. I was going to get a Wilton vise and was planning to spend about $600 on one. Before I did I called them and talked to the customer service (which there customer service needs improvement). I asked about the "Lifetime" Warranty. They told me it is only for the "Lifetime" of the vise. So I asked them whats that and they were hesitant to answer. They told me "average Lifetime" of a vise is 6 (six) years, so It has a "lifetime" warranty of the vise. I asked if I buy a new vise and break it 8 years from now, Wilton will not fix it, or replace it then? The man said correct because the life of the vise was over at 6 years. I argued then that the "Lifetime" warranty was misleading, and advertising fraud, and told him that wilton doesnt offer a lifetime warranty, only a 6 year warranty. But before I got to arguing with him, I asked what was covered under there crappy 6 year warranty. He said it was the spindle (including the threads) and the nut. And the jaws were not included in the warranty if they broke.

Fortunately, I did not waste my money on a Wilton vise to beat on. I bought the large 6" vise from HF for $40 (jaws open to 8"). It has lasted me 4 years so far, and I beat it with a hammer on a regular basis just for fun.

But to answer the OP question, I would stick weld it, and if it breaks again, get a new HF vise.
    Last edited by ace4059; 06-04-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: I thought the warranty was 7 years but I looked in the paper work and it is only 6 years

I have what looks like that same Larin vice. I got it from Costco for less than $50. I don't think you could repair it for less than that.

my first thought was to braze it, but i was concerned about it holding up??
    if i could replace it for $50 i would likely go that way. th HF vices i looked at were no where near the same thing.

costco ?? I'll have to see if i can find one, thanks.

i have a few sticks but nothing NI based, just the basic steel sticks.

I'm going to get it taken apart today i think, clean it up and take a look at what i have to work with.

on the bright side; i don't have any thing to lose by trying the brazing idea. if it doesn't work, i still just have a broken vice. no loss, no gain.

I'll take some pic's when i get it apart and cleaned up.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES