Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My welding table!

Started on it yesterday night, finished it up this afternoon.

1.5" square tube...just short of 40 feet in there. 1/4" plate for the top.

5'x3' surface...right around 41" tall. Doesnt wobble, as stable as it can be. More to come, but this is what it looks like in all its table-y fashion.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...fc3352ce3f.jpg
    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...1bc3d1c0d9.jpg
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...820b1349f7.jpg
    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...2e13be97f1.jpg

More pictures to come! I have a couple things I havent done yet, mostly because I ran out of daylight.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

No overhang for clamps?
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    No overhang for clamps?

That was the first thing I thought of too....

But nice looking welds you are on the right track, keep up the good job!

Railmen
    2007 Trailblazer 302G
    2004 Invision 354MP
    1999 60 series feeder
    2005 Maxstar 200DX
    2007 CST280
    1999 HF 251-1
    older Hobart hefty wire feeder
    Hyperthrem 600
    Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
    had and sold........
    2003 XMT 304CC/CV
    1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
    1963 Lincoln SA200G
    1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
    1970's Lincoln SAE400G
    2 Maxstar's 200DX's
    1 Maxstar 200SD
    CST 280
    2 CST 250
    MM130

Railmen

with only 1.5" tube & 1/4" plate, clamps will fit easily over it. Table looks nice. Maybe add a couple of bars underneath to hang stuff like clamps, etc.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

While I was building it, I thought of modifying the design so that I could use regular (7R...10R...etc) vise grips to clamp on the edge, but I dont really like those as much. I much prefer the toggle style clamps, and they reach deeper anyway. I have yet to mount some casters to one side, so I can push it wheel barrow style, but now its pretty much complete.

I finished up some stuff, welded a piece of angle iron on to clamp visegrips to, made and then welded a couple hooks, for my faceshield, jacket, welding helmet, ear muffs, and my extension cord.

Only a couple things left! Mount my welder to the table somehow, I havent decided how im going to do that just yet, but I have a plan. Also going to do the caster thing, its a heavy beast. Then just make some gun/ground hooks to hold those for me.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...12b6a68246.jpg
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...0dbc7c35af.jpg

A couple more pictures, with all that stuff done. I forgot, also mounted a 4.5" wilton vise to one corner of it. Feel free to throw ideas/comments at me!
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Nice table. I would suggest to put a couple of braces under the 1/4" top plate. Weight and welding on it can warp it some.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

With only a 5 x 3 surface, space is at a premium, even my 4 x 8 leaves me wanting more room sometimes. I used to have my bench grinder and vice mounted to the table top, but since have welded some 2 1/2" square tube along the bottom of the table in different spots and mounted my grinder and vice to some plates welded to 2" tube. Now I've got more room on the table and can move the accessories to meet my needs. What's nice about having the vice mounted that way is you can rotate it 90 degrees and clamp something straight up/down without the neck of the vice in the way.

BTW nice work!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Thanks NCG!

I dont have a whole lot of room right now...and most of the parts I plan on making, will probably fit on that table. If I had the room, I would have definitely gone 4x8, but seeing as this is in my rather crowded (Im sure you have noticed piles of stuff) garage...it just didnt seem feasible.

The vise is held on with 4 bolts, and is fairly easily removed if I needed that corner as well, I wish I had the money for a wonderful rotating vise...but that was also not to be...at least not yet. I do plan on making a side mount plate for it, so that I can mount material vertically as well, If I needed to.

I also plan on putting a brace through the center of it, along the 3' direction, but the table really doesnt flex a whole lot. I know it will move as time goes on, what with grinding, and welding on it, but I expect that to happen. Thats why I went with 1/4" instead of 1/8". The last fabrication shop I worked at had 2 tables 4x10 with a 1" top...those things were beastly...but I dont have a forklift to move something like that...or the wallet to pay for it.

Thanks guys!

Cool

looks great.
    one of the great things about having a welder is you can add, remove or change as the need arises.
    enjoy it and never fear, it can change as needed when needed.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Moveable grinder/vise

Even if your projects are small and your space is limited that may be all the more reason to mount your vise and grinder on a 2" square tube like a hitch socket. I did it with my smaller table and it is really convenient. It allows me to mount a vise, pipe vise, grinder and all kinds of attachments like bending fixtures to the bench and then remove them when they are not needed.

Like someone said part of the cool part of having tools is you can always modify your projects as you want. This may just be something you might want to consider as you develop this bench. I do agree that a couple supports under the top could save it from warping under heat/use. I used 3/8" on mine and still put a total of three (one centered and one centered in each half) on mine just to make sure I had a solid surface to weld up frames and things on.

Can't cut this off without saying that your welds look fantastic, nice work man! Keep up the good work and don't hide all the welds under the table!
    Takedeadaim
    Millermatic 180
    Makita 4.5" angle grinders
    Makita chop saw
    Various hand and power tools