Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

These stories have nothing to do with welding-I am a contract field operator for a large Canadian oil & gas production company here out here past where the cows go to die... The plant I work at is small-two guys working across from each other on a 9-and-5 rotation. I have worked with my current cross-shift for just over a year-a very interesting year. For a man with a 3rd class steam ticket, he has very interesting ideas.....don't want to bore anyone with geology stuff, but the oil wells in our part of the world rely on gas pressure in the formation to push the oil to the wellbore. On buddy's 1st day here, he wanted to install a choke on the casing gas side to "force the oil to go to the pump". No amount of patient explanation from me seemed to suffice-only reason it never happened was that he couldn't work up the ambition to book a crew to do it. Also has a penchant for cleaning running, loaded engines with Brakleen -after I pointed out to him the turbocharger on the sales engine as a likely ignition point, he informed me he would switch to Varsol because it is way less flammable.....yeah, spraying it out of a garden sprayer creates way less of a vapor cloud. After he had been here 6 months or so (keep in mind he has lived 3 miles from the plant for 13 years or so), I got a message on my phone one weekend off after midnight from him-the power co. had dropped a phase in a storm. His message informed me he had called the power co. and they had no record of an outage-unfortunately the one he called does not operate within 100 miles of us. Not only has he paid his power bill to one company for 13 years, he bought a surplus truck from them less than a month before this! Can you see a pattern developing here?

None of this should surprise me I guess-before he transferred here, at a safety meeting where the company rolled out its alcohol and drug policy, he basically informed everyone that it was BS and unfair that we couldn't get drunk on the weekends when we were working and on call---I don't care what your thought process is, maybe don't state it to the safety guy? I can't get out of here fast enough.....

Jason

i wanna hear about some more dum dums
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    i wanna hear about some more dum dums
    Did you hear about the guy who wore a cowboy hat on top of his welding helmet?

LOL!!!

yeah i heard of him. i think ive seen him i a bar before
    feel free to P/M me

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    LOL!!!

yeah i heard of him. i think ive seen him i a bar before
    He ain't a weldor ether, just keeping it safe when he hits on the girls that are fuggly enough to need a #12 glass.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Unhappy

Maybe O/A cert. isn't a bad idea after all! Follow this link to see why. I warn ya, it bad stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKRbgGDhHs

Talking

It looks like a rock crusher. It also looks like he forgot to turn of the gas BEFORE the oxygen! I watched a guy almost blow his hand off once from the same mistake. The torch body blew up in his hand as he was setting it down. It's a good thing he wasnt holding the torch with a normal grip at the time or he'd be missing his hand! Not many shop tools more dangerous than a torch setup. If the thought of a rocket straped right next to a bomb doesn't scare you into following the proper saftey precautions then please do not use a torch within 500' of me.

Quote Originally Posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
    Did you hear about the guy who wore a cowboy hat on top of his welding helmet?
    No.
    I think its just a urban myth.
    Nobody would do that.

But;
    what do ya think about them so-and-so's who come in after hours,
    use your bench grinder, and leave a big trench, or 'V' groove in the wheel?
    Would that make ya crazy, or what?

(Personally, I'm leaning towards, 'or what'.)

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

It seems that the simplest things are the biggest problems.
    If your welder does not work than check these seemingly obvious factors.

-is the ground connected
    -is the plug plugged in
    -is the power on
    -did your girlfriend go bezerk and sabotage your machine
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    He ain't a weldor ether, just keeping it safe when he hits on the girls that are fuggly enough to need a #12 glass.
    hey man i may be blind ,but i aint that blind ...and NO they do not look better at last call.

here's my woman... see a REAL TEXAS WOMAN
    Attached Images Attached Images
    feel free to P/M me