Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Repair/Modification

Hi, this is my first post after lurking this site for awhile. Seems to be lots of info and nice people here.I have a Lincoln SP 170T

Ok, I have a trailer project on my hands. I bought this 6x12 trailer at auction 4 yrs ago for $450 and I have used it to haul my firewood. The trailer has been beefed up from its original state by the previous owner.The original frame is a thin c channel that is flimsy, cracked and rusted out in lots of places , so someone has put 1/4" 3x4 angle over top of it and added straps to connect to the axle hangers that is still attached to the thin stuff,the tounge is bent, seems to be way too long(5ft).This trailer frame worries me!!

I plan to put a dump kit under it

I have a few thoughts on what to do with it. It has 2 3500lb axles. I have some 1/4"thick 5"c-channel, and have thought about building a new frame. Heres the thing, I can weld but do not want to always worry if its welded good enough, what do you think it would cost if I did all the prepping and tacked it together and then took it to a certified welder to finish the welds?

Heres another thought, that would give me piece of mind. I have all new axle hangers and equalizers, that have holes to bolt them on. I think with bolts and my weld would be sufficient, now the frame is another story, but what if I weld outside corner bracket on as well as bolting them,to beef up the corners , would this be sufficient?

Last edited by kstill361; 05-27-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Last edited by kstill361; 05-26-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Start with new metal and build a new frame and then put the old body back on. tada

what state you in? I'm sure there's someone that could use the side work of finish welding for you. my second thought is sell it on CL for the full price of a 12 foot dump trailer. ( i can't believe the price of total sh t trailers that are selling on CL )
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Default I aggree with you vin-man

But are they actually selling for that price. When I was looking for a trailer to put my Bobcat on I took a look at Craigs List. Ended up getting a new one at Harbor Freight for half as much as a cheap POC on CL. Actually everything I look at is high on there.

For my (first?) trailer I was using an SP175T with 3/16" and 1/4" aluminum 3" C-channels. Since my motorcycle will ride on it at some point, and I did not fully trust my welding, I bolted the corners. They show up a bit in the attached pictures. Interesting enough though, the trailer became a lot more solid welded than it was bolted.

BTW, the braces were 2" long sections of 6" x 6" x 3/8" angle. Too heavy for the welder to handle. I beveled the ends down to about 3/16" and tacked them to the C-channel, mainly to hold them in place than for structural strength.

Bolting is like suspenders and a belt. But, welding is better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press
    No Name Portable band and chop saws
    '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
    For my (first?) trailer I was using an SP175T with 3/16" and 1/4" aluminum 3" C-channels. Since my motorcycle will ride on it at some point, and I did not fully trust my welding, I bolted the corners. They show up a bit in the attached pictures. Interesting enough though, the trailer became a lot more solid welded than it was bolted.

BTW, the braces were 2" long sections of 6" x 6" x 3/8" angle. Too heavy for the welder to handle. I beveled the ends down to about 3/16" and tacked them to the C-channel, mainly to hold them in place than for structural strength.

Bolting is like suspenders and a belt. But, welding is better.
    I suppose you know that welding an aluminum trailer is really not the safe way to go in the first place. When you really start looking around at aluminum trailers almost all of the critical areas are bolted as far as frame structure is concerned. Everywhere you weld you lost your temper...and a trailer frame flexes way too much to have a T-0 area that is supposed to be holding the entire thing together. So it's a good thing you were not relying on your welds
    The aluminum trailer needs to be designed in such a way that it should be bolted.
    The only way you would want to have an aluminum trailer on the highway that was welded together is one that was designed and signed off on by an engineer and the welder/mfg had a product performance liability policy.
    Every aluminum trailer that I have seen that was shop made and was welded together on the frame had issues happening and I have been looking at them for a good while now.
    That is why you don't see aluminum springs...and that is basically what a trailer frame is. Unless you send it to somebody like Boeing and have it run thru heat treat etc..
    I realize this trailer is very light and is gonna see very light loads but I wouldnt get much braver.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    Start with new metal and build a new frame and then put the old body back on. tada
    Yep, I found some clean 5" c-channel for $6.00/ft that I will use for the frame , plus I already have some on hand , I think 30ft. I can use for crossmembers.I also purchased some trailer plans for reference, they should be in the mail soon. This project may not take place till fall or winter, right now Im gathering all the materials to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by vin-man welding View Post
    what state you in? I'm sure there's someone that could use the side work of finish welding for you. my second thought is sell it on CL for the full price of a 12 foot dump trailer. ( i can't believe the price of total sh t trailers that are selling on CL )

Im in Central IL. I found a welder to finish the work for me, he just doesnt know it yet, LOL... He is an old school mate, and is still in touch with my buddy, so I am sure something could be worked out there.