Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Motorcycle Alum. Frames?

Does any one know what type of Aluminum is used in building motorcycle frames? I realize that alot of these are cast in sections, but some are still welded together. If anyone knows what a Honda CRF 250 or 400 is (dirtbike), take a look at the all Alum. Frame. Obviously welded together. Just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on what material or process they use. Thanks
    ---Machinist playing weldor---
    TA 185 AC/DC

Default Welding Alum. M/C frames

Quote Originally Posted by RCGRT View Post
    Does any one know what type of Aluminum is used in building motorcycle frames? I realize that alot of these are cast in sections, but some are still welded together. If anyone knows what a Honda CRF 250 or 400 is (dirtbike), take a look at the all Alum. Frame. Obviously welded together. Just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on what material or process they use. Thanks
    Most pieces are made of 7005 series Al. The recommended filler is 5356. Look around the web on welding of 7005 series Al. You will find most info. is from Bicycle blogs. No heat treatment required. Use in the As-Welded condition. The cast sections may be different. I've been doing radiator boss lowering (to use 450 rads on 250's), radiator welding, and sub-frame lowering for about 5 years for YOT/J-Law Racing, as well as some work for Yamaha US. I wouldn't repair any drastic component failure. TIG process. AC and some DC Neg with 100% He. for thicker sections.

Default Alum. Frames

Stillwelding -

Thanks! I found alot of info on the net about the 7005 material. Just like you siad mostly aobut bicycle or moutain bike frames. In any event I may try picking some up and practicing with some 5356 filler.
    TA 185 AC/DC

I've used 5356 filler to replace subframe tabs on a 97 GSX-R 750 and that bike still rideswith me today doing wheelies and everything else. I have also replaced a lot of subframe pieces, tabs and other things that break easy on a few local stunt bikes and street bikes and had zero failures, but i pre-heat,grind and use a lot of filler, and i have to use the synch 250 at the shop i used to work at, as i don't think my dynasty would cut the thicker frame sections, but i can say i've seen it done and held up for years,,, What i can't say is is you're "supposed to" do it or not...the frame says not to, the customer says please, the weldor says "sign waver" LOL
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Default Alum. Frames

Turboglen -

LOL!! Good One, "sign here" huh. Thanks for the helpfull info. It looks like everyone is suggesting the 5356 for a few different reasons. I have had an 02 RC51 (RVT 1000) engine sitting around for a while now. I'm hoping to build a toy to throw it in. Originally I was going to do something with 4 wheels, but it looks like I will wind up doing a two wheeled (motorcycle) project instead. BTW, I had a 2000 RC51 for a few years, the Twin rocks!
    TA 185 AC/DC

Turboglen -

LOL!! Good One, "sign here" huh. Thanks for the helpfull info. It looks like everyone is suggesting the 5356 for a few different reasons. I have had an 02 RC51 (RVT 1000) engine sitting around for a while now. I'm hoping to build a toy to throw it in. Originally I was going to do something with 4 wheels, but it looks like I will wind up doing a two wheeled (motorcycle) project instead. BTW, I had a 2000 RC51 for a few years, the Twin rocks!
    Sounds sweet!, I had a custom cart i made with a kawasaki 350 tripple motor in it, (3 cylinders, 2 stroke and 350cc's of demonic hang on for deal life fun! ) I had to put an air shifter and air clutch buttons on the steering wheel because the crt was so mean you couldn't take a hand off the wheel to shift or you'd be possibly stareting to wobble out of control...I say make a RC51 Go-Kart and let me ride it

Goood luck on whatever you do, nothing like having a 2 wheeled beast either!
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Turboglenn -

Go karts are what started the whole idea. I'd say an RC51 kart would definitely need a wheelie bar! Either way I'll post pics once I get started. I think I'm going to fit it into a rigid frame, not sure yet. What I would really like to do is turbo the thing, but I know nothing on turbos, and not sure what it would cost or take to pull that off.
    TA 185 AC/DC

turbo38t Guest

I was hopping it was gonna be bored and stroked 500 motor......torque monster!
    Turboglenn -

Go karts are what started the whole idea. I'd say an RC51 kart would definitely need a wheelie bar! Either way I'll post pics once I get started. I think I'm going to fit it into a rigid frame, not sure yet. What I would really like to do is turbo the thing, but I know nothing on turbos, and not sure what it would cost or take to pull that off.