Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Knock Down Weld Curtain

My company sponsors six different teams in the Robot First competition. Robot First is an organization that gets High School students involved in designing and building robots that must compete with and against other robots at regional competitions. The idea is to get these students interested in science and technology in a high energy fun environment.

I have been associated with one of the teams, which has a bunch of toolmakers, technicians and engineers that help the students with their robot and also sponsor the machine shop function for all teams at three regional competitions. We bring small portable lathes, milling machines, drill presses, band saws, belt sanders and a variety of hand tools to help the students make and modify parts of their robots.

I will assist with any welding required during the three regionals. My Dynasty 200 DX TIG welder is ideal because the robots are mostly made of light gage aluminum. This year for one location I will be welding in the same room as the rest of the machine shop. The weld curtains that we have at work are 10 x 6 so they are hard to transport. To solve the problem I modified one weld curtain frame so that it can be knocked down for transport. The frames are made of 1 square tubing. For the modification I welded tubing into the 1 tubing to make a slip joint. Attached are pictures of the knock down weld curtain.

More information regarding Robot First go to the following link.

http://www.usfirst.org/?gclid=CJTNgZ...FQpzHgodni2p-A
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

where the **** do you guys find this kick a$$ jobs!!!

welding and playing with robots and teaching kids....

i hate my life

I would like to get involved with this in my area...
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    I would like to get involved with this in my area...
    see http://www.usfirst.org/whatsgoingon.aspx

frank

Cool. I welded a high school's (Bend, Oregon's trinnity luthren) aluminium solar car frame and parts for them because they didnt have anyone that wouldn't do it labor cost free. Hopefully they will go to the dell winston school solar car chalange race this year in dallas texas.
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

I went to Bend Sr High Class of '58.

Cool way cool looking mod.

looks great, are you planing on pining them back together or adding a nut and bolt with butterfly for fast sturdy reassembly ??
    i have used the nut and bolt version on many occasions for good solid hold with no tools needed.( see pic) just wondering what you went with ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Don,
    Those welding curtains seem quite large. How much do they weigh?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    looks great, are you planing on pining them back together or adding a nut and bolt with butterfly for fast sturdy reassembly ??
    i have used the nut and bolt version on many occasions for good solid hold with no tools needed.( see pic) just wondering what you went with ??
    The weld curtain and tye wraps actually hold it together because it is in tension. It was surprisingly rigid after I added the weld curtain to the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Don,
    Those welding curtains seem quite large. How much do they weigh?
    Nick
    ~15 lb. They are 1/16" x 1" square tubing.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Thumbs up

i had not thought about the curtain stretch as an aid to holding it together, but i see it now you mentioned it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES