Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tig welding Iron gate

Hello I have Dynasty 200DX and experience welding mild steel aluminum stainless. Someone has asked me to cut and extend a ornamental iron gate from say 50 inches wide to 55 inches. Can I tig this? What filler would I use?

thanks

The DX200 is a great stick welder. That is the route I would go. Less hassle and not much to carry.

Cool

For TIG i would use 70S-3 or 70S-6 1/8" filler rods...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Iron gate

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    The DX200 is a great stick welder. That is the route I would go. Less hassle and not much to carry.
    I would follow LA Weld instructions to use stick. You didn't say how tall the gate was but stick welding is way stronger. Whether you are welding outside or in.. Especially outside with the wind.. Your gas will be blown away and it will be a waist. I think that you should stick it. Just my thoughts. Welder 35 years.
    Snowman6058

yes the 200 is a great stick welder
    i stick welded these balusters with the 200
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure the gate is IRON and not just painted steel?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman6058 View Post
    I would follow LA Weld instructions to use stick. You didn't say how tall the gate was but stick welding is way stronger. Whether you are welding outside or in.. Especially outside with the wind.. Your gas will be blown away and it will be a waist. I think that you should stick it. Just my thoughts. Welder 35 years.
    Snowman6058
    On what planet?

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    On what planet?
    Good one!!

turbo38t Guest

LOL......you are always makin me laugh :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    On what planet?

Maybe the way Snowman "tig welds", his stick welds ARE stronger.

But, I thought we were talking about the "process" here. If that's the case, then tig is stronger and would require much less post-weld cleanup.