Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default A little off topic

I know I may be a little off topic here and I sympathise with business owners trying to survive in the market. However, I think it's important to ponder the long term reasoning behind strict guidelines like the ones imposed when it comes to hexavalent chromium. When you look at the situation in the long run, it comes as a big expense up-front. But if you think about the number of cancer cases that might be avoided by protecting yourself, your father, uncle, aunt, who knows, how much do you save on doctors, medicine, lost work hours in the future because of illness, and or loss of life. If you put a price tag on all that, and you are the taxpayer, or your kids in the future, the short term pain seems like it is worth the long term gain. In Canada at least, I know that whatever the government pays for (in terms of health care) I pay through my taxes. Some air filtration systems and PPE might cost several grand today, but not doing it might cost several hundred grand in 20 years (for you, by way of the government increasing taxes to pay for it). Granted, it is quite an up-front cost, it seems the government could at least offer rebates (if they don't already) for buying PPE and Air filtration systems given that it will reduce the overall toll on the healthcare system down the road. If not, I suggest you talk with your local lawmaker to remind them that a stitch in time saves nine...or for the welders....

a few hundred spent of personal protective equipment
    will save thousands on that cancerous predicament..

Anywho, that's my two cents!

Well stated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Default Monitoring samples

For those who haven't run across this before, here is an example of what your personal monitoring could look like. The job was welding 9% nickel plate with inconel stick and wire in a well ventilated area. Tests were done wearing a sensor pickup clipped to collar under hood. Not positve of the units of measurement but the maximum exposure level on a 10 hour shift was to be 7.5 whatever and this was increased tenfold with the wearing of a 3M...P-100 1/2 mask respirator. A hepa filtered 'smoke eater' was placed as close as feasibly possible but really didn't offer much protection as the welding plume still wandered off at times. Results showed that for the most part, on a comfortable horizontal or vertical weld, the exposure was at or below the requirement of the half-mask. The project also involved full penetration groove weld on the flat which was checked, background and repaired as needed with the welder laying underneath in a 24" crawlspace. Also there was a corner fillet. Many of the results for these last three positions were well above the limits....i.e. whereas a 3M mask would protect you to 75 units, we were getting readings to 130. Decision was made that a blower fan was required to direct fumes away from welder's mask. Apparently, hex fumes are at their worse when at high welding temperatures but will have lower toxicity as they cool off. It's easy to say to keep your head out of the plume but not always possible when trying for body comfort and precision welding.
    Last edited by OldSparks; 05-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.

In order to save your time you can register for Osha safety training online.

I just took an OSHA class last week where this topic was discussed .... OSHA says you can't just put a guy in respirator and have go weld ... You must first remove the contaminant from the air using engineering controls ... Like using make up air and smoke eaters ... Then do air sampling to prove. That your welders are safe ... Then use administrative controls like smaller shifts more breaks .. And last use p p e .... Resperators or scba ... Yes guys this sucks but we might as well get used to it cause fines go from 7 grand per violation to 7000000 a violation .